Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Tiger Cakes - Tuesdays with Dorie

Tuesdays with Dorie's group baking project this week was a riff on a financier, a little French cake traditionally baked in the shape of a gold ingot. These Tiger Cakes had the characteristic chewy crust, golden, crispy edges, and moist, nutty interior of financiers I've had before, but also had the added deliciousness of chocolate, used in two ways, no less.
First, finely chopped chocolate was added to the batter. Then, the cooled cakes were dipped in a chocolate ganache. I used bittersweet chocolate for both (72% cacao) to complement the sweet little almond treats. 

The pattern formed by the chocolate bits in my cakes was spotty rather than stripey - more cheetah-like than tiger-like - so the moniker didn't quite fit but this made no difference to everyone who enjoyed them. 

The recipe can be found in Dorie Greenspan's book Baking Chez Moi. Visit here to see what everyone else thought of them.

14 comments:

  1. Yours look great! Mine stuck like crazy! This was the third time I baked them: the first time they stuck, the second time they didn't, and this time they stuck. I think I might buy a silicone mini-muffin pan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are connected on similar thoughts: financiers and tiger strips. How funny? They are delicious nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that these cakes were more reminiscent of cheetahs than tigers. Oh well, in the end these cakes were delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great - I need to aim for stripes or spots next time too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cakes look great. I have to bakethe financier soon since I liked these so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. delicious--regardless of cat-type, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photo. We loved these. Just had one again today and I am so glad that I froze half:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cheetah financiers! Yours turned out very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cheetah financiers! Yours turned out very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cheetah financiers! Yours turned out very nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look perfect to me and are so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Zosia, thy look absolutely wonderful and delicious looking to, are you on Facebook? If so ,let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were really delicious Rosa, you should give them a try. And no, I'm not on facebook.

      Delete
  13. Tigers, cheetahs, leopard??? They looked more like spots to me too-but they tasted so good and did not last very long!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.