Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Apple Pielettes - Tuesdays with Dorie

The Tuesdays with Dorie project this week was little fruit-filled pastries that were as delicious as they were cute.
The recipe called for a double batch of galette dough, a food processor pastry that was a dream to work with. I used the recommended sizes of biscuit cutters for top and bottom crusts but found that the dough circles were too small and needed to be rolled out a little more after cutting. 

For the filling, I used dried cranberries in place of raisins and apricots,  omitted the sugar but included the apple jelly, and added a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to the Honey Crisp apples, finely diced to fit into the dough-lined muffin tin.

My pastry lids didn't adhere very well and juice bubbled out of every pielette so I was reluctant to invert the pan when they were done; a small offset spatula worked perfectly in loosening, then removing them from the tin. Everyone loved them.

The recipes for Apple Pielettes and Galette Dough are from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking Chez Moi. Visit here to see all of the other apple treats.

12 comments:

  1. Your pies turned out so well! Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My lids didn't stick so well either but I think that adds to the charm ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to know that I wasn't the only one with issues getting the tops on! Yours look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to know that I wasn't the only one with issues getting the tops on! Yours look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adding a squeeze of lemon juice is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pielettes look perfect! I think I'll try adding lemon juice next time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also made my dough circles bigger. The dried cranberries look so pretty in your filling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo is so perfect and brings out the deliciousness of these cute
    little desserts. A big hit in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You nailed it with the description that they were as "delicious as they were cute". And I had the same issue with my tops not adhering but I have to admit that I did like the "rustic" look of the oozing juices :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Zosia,
    I was thinking of using dried cranberries at first too! Your pielettes looks fabulous! These are good!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you that the 3 inch circle was a little too small. Your pies were not dry without the sugar? I need to solve my moisture issue sans ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My tops were 'loose' too. I think my dough shrank a little. But STILL good!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.