Monday, September 28, 2015

Chocolate Roulade - IHCC Au Revoir Chef Pépin!

This is our last week at I Heart Cooking Clubs with Jacques Pépin as our featured chef. To bid him farewell, I made Jacques's Chocolate Roulade from the book Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home, one Julia Child described as the best chocolate roulade she ever had.
The airy flourless cake was essentially a soufflé comprising a chocolate ganache (chocolate melted with hot whipping cream) and whipped egg whites, baked on a sheet pan. The filling was chantilly cream, sweetened whipped cream flavoured with vanilla.
The cake was delicate, almost ethereal in texture, and the whipped cream filling echoed its lightness and provided a cool, creamy contrast to the rich chocolate flavour. The perfect ending to a meal or a culinary journey with a master of French cuisine. Who could resist a slice of this?

Next month, Ellie Krieger becomes IHCC's featured chef. Stay tuned for some "delicious meets healthy" cooking. In the meantime, check out the other farewell posts for Jacques.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness....what I wouldn't give for a fork full of this! It looks absolutely perfect in every way. I think you saved the best Pepin dish for last:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving it all. Flourless. Chocolate ganache. Chantilly cream. This is perfection! Thanks for bringing this dessert to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely roulade! A really beautiful dessert to say Au Revoir to Chef JP. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zosia,
    wow, that is one perfect looking roulade! It looks really light and delicious! Perfectly baked!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This brings back great memories for me--my mom made a similar cake (although slightly less fancy) for us growing up and I always wanted it as my Birthday cake. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.