Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Apple Kuchen: A Tall Apple-Custard Tourte - Tuesdays with Dorie

This week's choice for Tuesdays with Dorie was a very majestic looking tourte. Not quite a cake, but not a tart either, it was essentially a mound of apple chunks bound by a creamy custard, wrapped in a lemony crust. I made a half recipe of each of the components and baked it in a 6" springform pan. Minifying it really didn't do it justice.
Powdered sugar can hide a multitude of sins....apparently blackened apples is not one of them! ;)
After almost a year of baking with TWD, multi-component desserts no longer faze me - something I never thought I would be saying! - they just need a little advance planning. For this recipe, that meant making Dorie's crème fraîche for the custard first, a mixture of heavy cream and buttermilk that needed almost 2 days before it could be used. The other components were: a tart crust flavoured with lemon zest; a graham cracker crumble, presumably to help absorb some of the fruit's juices; so many Gala apple chunks, they barely fit into the pan!; rum-soaked cranberries (in place of raisins); a final topping of sugar and melted butter (I omitted the latter).
Look at all of that fruit!
The tourte had a fairly long baking time and, surprisingly, my half-sized version required the full 70 minutes after the custard was added. This was followed by a stint under the broiler, a step I'll skip next time since it failed to brûlé the sugar but succeeded in blackening my already browned apples and creating chewy bits of my formerly plump and juicy cranberries!

This dessert was a delicious way to celebrate the apple. The fruit was the star, and amazingly, even the scorched pieces were good, tasting of caramelized sugar. The filling reminded me of my family's favourite apple cake, Marie-Hélène's Apple Cake, another Dorie creation from her book, Around my French Table, which is really baked apples held together with a smidgen of cake batter. Both are homages to the apple and we love them!

The recipes for the kuchen and the crème fraîche are from the book Baking Chez Moi. Visit here to see everyone's lovely tourtes.

14 comments:

  1. In the future, instead of broiling it at the end I might use a torch to caramelize the sugar. I too had a bit of an issue with the blackened fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the future, instead of broiling it at the end I might use a torch to caramelize the sugar. I too had a bit of an issue with the blackened fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't broil mine either (burnt the top of mine!) - I actually don't think it needed that step at the end. I minified and made two four inch versions and used slightly less than half of the custard and way less apples for more custard to apple ratio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I skipped the broiler step as I don't have a broiler - I am getting the feeling that this was a good thing. I do like your minified version, and I can believe that it took 70 minutes, because my big one took 100 minutes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mini tourte looks great! I agree that the apples were the star, but I feel like they could have used cinnamon or something extra to let them shine brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I think you're little tourte looks tall and fine! I agree about skipping the broiler step...I had char-grilled raisins on top.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Making the mini version makes sense, especially baking a new recipe. I didn't think of doing that. This recipe needs some adjustments for sure. You always seem to find a way to make it look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the size pan you used, so cute. I agree with all that the broiling didn't add a thing except to blacken everything a bit more. The cake was delicious and we
    really enjoyed every bit of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your mini kuchen looks delish! I also skipped the extra butter on top, and just like you, didn't expect to enjoy the blackened apple bits -- but they were delicious after all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually liked the look of your Kuchen. The broiler business works for me. But, even more so, I LOVE the 6" springform pan. It would be perfect at my house.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your crust is gorgeous. How did you do that? Ditto on everything you said about making this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used rum-soaked cranberries, too - they were a good choice. I made the full version, but my photo doesn't do justice to the height - it was quite tall. :)

    Your mini version looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still need to make that apple cake from AMFT. My husband really enjoyed the rest of this cake. Mixing in the dried fruit is a must next time. I also skipped the butter/sugar part.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your mini version! I made the full size and cooked it for almost double the time, I'm glad it wasn't just me who had probs with cooking time. The apples were delicious :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.