Monday, September 7, 2015

Apple, Honey, and Rosemary Clafoutis - IHCC Mystery Box Madness

It's that time again when members of I Heart Cooking Clubs are challenged to make a recipe using at least three of the MBM ingredients. Last month was very easy for me; it was almost as if someone had been looking at Ottolenghi's Surprise Tatin when they chose the ingredients because five were represented. 

This month, with Salmon, Green Peas, Hazelnuts, Eggplant, Parmesan Cheese, Kale, Apples, Blue Cheese, Bread Rolls/Buns, and Rosemary, it was a little more of a challenge. But with the help of Eat Your Books, all I had to do was enter the ingredients I was interested in using and let it to do the work of searching my cookbook library. It came up with a winner: Diana Henry's Apple, Honey and Rosemary Clafoutis from her book Plenty.
I'm not sure why I don't make clafoutis more often. It's an easy and delicious way to serve seasonal fruit comprising a pancake-like batter made with milk, eggs, flour and sugar that's poured over chopped fruit and baked. 

Of course, Diana, being who she is, had a more creative approach with this version. The liquid was a mix of milk and cream and the sweetener was honey. This was heated, then steeped with a sprig of fresh rosemary. Eggs, sugar (which I omitted) and flour were then blended with the mixture and poured over sliced apples. I divvied the ingredients up amongst small ramekins. Once baked and cooled enough to serve, my mini clafoutis were topped with chopped, toasted hazelnuts and a dusting of powdered sugar.
With sweet-tart apples nestled in a custard, topped with crunchy, nutty goodness, it was absolutely delicious! The rosemary flavour was subtle but noticeable, an unusual but perfect complement to the fruit. Loved it!

I used apples, rosemary and hazelnuts from the Mystery Box. I wonder what ingredients the other members selected. Visit here to find out.

8 comments:

  1. So beautiful! Zosia, you totally nail this round's Mystery Box Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made Diane Henry's cherry clafoutis many times and love it. Like the apple and rosemary combination here. Your dish is amazing, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one was on my list but I changed my mind when I saw you made it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I wish you had made it, Alicia. Different apples, different flour (the correct one!)....different dish. I would have enjoyed reading your take on it.

      Delete
  4. I love clafoutis but have never made an apple one which is odd because I love apple desserts so much. ;-) This one sounds lovely with the apple-rosemary-hazelnut combination plus the honey. Mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the rosemary sounds like a wonderful way to infuse flavor to this dish. They look beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zosia,
    This is a beautiful looking dessert! I like everything about it! I have the this book, but somehow missed this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. THAT looks positively scrumptious. Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.