Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Bubble Éclairs - Tuesdays with Dorie

Our project this week at Tuesdays with Dorie was one of the recipes for the very versatile choux pastry from Baking Chez Moi, Bubble Éclairs.
The recipe for the dough was no different from others I've made (there seems to be a standard ratio of liquid:butter:flour:eggs from which there's not much deviation), but the shaping was: 3 mini puffs placed close together so they joined as they baked, Dorie's twist on the éclair shape. I usually pipe the dough out but used a #70 cookie scoop to portion it this time. My yield was correct but the tops were a little craggy so I'll stick to piping next time.

Though there were myriad toppings and fillings suggested, I kept mine simple with pearl sugar topping and vanilla whipped cream filling (1.5 batches of the recipe on page 439) since cream puffs are a perennial favourite around here. These were as delicious as they usually are with their crisp shells and luscious filling and I quite liked the novelty shape, but everyone raved about them! Does cuter taste better?  

Visit here to see what everyone else chose to make.

14 comments:

  1. Your éclairs look just Pinterest perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did like you and went with pearl sugar and whipped cream. and of course cuter tastes better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, so pretty! And I agree with Margret that your pics look pinterest worthy! And where did you find your pearl sugar? I also live in T.O. and couldn't find it in any major stores, bulk barn, or IKEA. You must tell me your secret! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Call Gygi http://www.gygi.com. They only have the Belgian sugar on their site, but I just bought the Swedish from them over the weekend so I know they have it. They will ship it to you! I think I paid $6.99 for it.

      Delete
    2. Margaret, I bought it from the Vanilla Food Company (after checking the same places you did plus McCall's and Golda's). Here's the link:
      http://www.vanillafoodcompany.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=PEARLSUG

      Delete
  4. Your eclairs are so cute - I think it helps them taste better ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your éclairs look so good! Definitely Pinterest worthy! And I also increased the yield on the whipped cream, though I only yielded 10 éclairs, so mine were a bit bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still need to try the eclairs from AMFT to compare. These were a fun shape and my book club liked them. It was nice to read everyone's blog first and then bake them. I learned so much from the group.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look absolutely perfect! I love how the whipped cream maintained its shape!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute - and good to know Vanilla Food has pearl sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The color on your puffs is really lovely. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zosia, your bubble eclairs look wonderful and mouth and delicious looking, I feel like making them but I do not have a recipe, can you share the recipe..Absolutely Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa, thank you for stopping by. These were really good!
      Here's a link to the recipe:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/pb/recipes/bubble-eclairs/14357/

      And here's a link to a video of Dorie Greenspan making them:
      http://www.washingtonpost.com/posttv/lifestyle/food/dorie-greenspan-makes-bubble-eclairs/2014/12/15/c8c1fa76-8223-11e4-b936-f3afab0155a7_video.html

      I used an egg wash on the top so the pearl sugar would stick but it's not necessary if you're just using powdered sugar. Happy Baking!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.