Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Vanilla-Mango Panna Cotta - Tuesdays with Dorie

I can't believe I haven't made panna cotta until now! But discovering new and delicious recipes like this is just one of the things I enjoy about belonging to this group.
This lovely dessert comprised a layer of rich vanilla bean panna cotta, a cool and creamy, Italian, egg-free custard set with gelatin (though I used agar agar instead), balanced by a layer of tangy, fresh mango-lime purée. It was stress-free (no worry about curdled eggs, a common hazard for me with a traditional custard), required practically no cooking, perfect for the hot weather we've been having, and it looked and tasted wonderful. Definitely one I'll repeat.

Visit here to see the other pretty puddings from Dorie Greenspan's Baking Chez Moi.

13 comments:

  1. Your Panna Cotta look just perfect. This was very easy to do and my family loves vanilla so I´ll be making this again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your panna cotta looks so fancy and delicious, especially with the mango toppings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful image for a beautiful dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You want to reach out and grab one of these. Looks spectacular. How much agar agar do you need for this recipe or by weight relative to the liquid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, I used 2g flakes for the 480ml liquid, soaked for 15 minutes in the milk-cream mixture (after taking out the vanilla bean), then simmered for about 5 minutes just until dissolved. I don't know if it's significant or not, but I kept the lid on the pot to reduce evaporation.

      Delete
  5. Lovely panna cotta, Zosia! This was delicious, and my family love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you presented your panna cotta, they look so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tip (in the comments) about how to use agar agar -- I'll have to try that myself sometime! And I love how you put chopped mango on top -- extra deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your panna cotta look beautiful! For me, the highlight was the mango puree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved how easy this was, too, especially in our never-ending Vancouver heatwave this summer. Yours look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree my cooking and baking skills have expanded tremendously since I joined the Dorie groups. Such fun to try something new. I really enjoyed the flavors of this but gelatin is not my favorite. I liked how you topped yours with fresh fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. STUNNING. Boy you have me itching now to make this for company with that gorgeous presentation you have done ! Lovely job :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.