Monday, June 1, 2015

Strawberry Shortcakes Franco-American Style - Tuesdays with Dorie

There's no better summer dessert to me than fresh strawberries with a little sweetened whipped cream. With her dessert Strawberry Shortcakes Franco-American Style from Baking Chez Moi, Dorie Greenspan transforms this favourite into something even more special by adding delicate cookie discs and roasting the strawberries for more intense flavour.
The most challenging part of this recipe was the Ladyfinger batter (page 424) and even that wasn't particularly difficult, though I did realize that my piping technique needs work since it determined just how flat or poofy the finished cookies would be (none of them were particularly poofy).

I filled them with Roasted Strawberries (page 458), a recipe Dorie claims will serve 10. If I didn't have to divvy it up among 6 shortcakes, I think I could have eaten the whole batch myself! So good with black pepper and balsamic vinegar. This is definitely a recipe I'll turn to again and again, especially if the berries are a little less than prime. I used another 500g of strawberries macerated with sugar for serving.

This fantastic dessert was made for Tuesdays with Dorie as we bake our way through Baking Chez Moi. Visit here to see what everyone else thought.

10 comments:

  1. The roasted berries were good, weren't they. Your shortcakes look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did similar... One lb roasted, one lb macerated, and the counterpoint was just perfect! Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made the roasted strawberries too…had mixed reviews on those. We came to the conclusion sometimes plain strawberries are best :) Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully done! Yeah, I could have eaten the whole batch of roasted strawberries myself!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so good! I want to try the roasted strawberries myself, now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your shortcakes look beautiful! Loved the roasted strawberries…Definitely will be making them again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shortcakes look great. Perfect piping. These were so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your berries and the whole dessert and the photo all look fabulous! This was so fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used all the batter on the 12 disks so mine were a little fuller. I did not read the directions that I was supposed to use the extra batter for additional lady fingers. We loved these too and would make again. I used all my strawberries on the 6 portions, I don't think it would have served 10.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to try the roasted strawberries. Everyone who made them has raved about them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.