Monday, June 1, 2015

Croque Madame - IHCC Fromage S'il Vous Plait

Do you have a cooking and baking bucket list? I do. Some items are about learning a new technique, eg laminated dough, others are classic recipes I'd like to try like Beef Wellington; they're not necessarily difficult or challenging, but they're all new-to-me. Croque Madame, the French version of a grilled cheese sandwich, has been on it for a while. With this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs' theme of cheese, and with Jacques Pépin as our featured chef, it was time to tackle this one.
In many recipes I've come across, the grilled ham and cheese sandwich is topped with béchamel and a fried or poached egg. In Jacques's Croque Madame, from Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home, there's no béchamel or egg in sight, the ham is replaced with roast chicken slices, and oil is suggested as an alternative to butter (I didn't use either). Baked in a hot oven until the bread is toasted on both sides and the Gruyère is melted, this was a quick and delicious way to use up some leftover chicken, and it's one less recipe for me to try - at least until a new one fills its spot on my list!

Visit IHCC to view all of the cheese-y dishes.

7 comments:

  1. I love this! Gotta make some for my kiddo. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, yummm love all that gooey cheese oozing out. beef wellington is also on my to do list :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melting cheese in the oven is such a smart idea. Meanwhile the outsides of the sandwich get crispy. Love learning new technique that's also fun to work with. You picked a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gruyere is my new favorite cheese. Looking forward to trying this one! Looks really ooey gooey :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This look delicious! Melting cheese and roast chicken slices sounds really, really good together! I would be happy to have this for any meal of the day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gruyère and chicken. PERFECTION!!! I've never made these either. NEED to!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.