Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Chocolate-Cherry Brownies - Tuesdays with Dorie

Fudgy and intensely chocolate-y with chewy tart cherries a welcome contrast to the richness, these decadent little squares were this week's Tuesdays with Dorie selection from the book Baking Chez Moi.
I used bittersweet chocolate with 70% cacao so they weren't too sweet and rather than opening a bottle of wine, I plumped the dried cherries in cranberry juice from an already open bottle. I baked them for a little over 40 minutes and they were still a bit gooey in the centre but they set up well in the fridge. I had lined my pan with parchment, so once they had chilled, I just pulled the brownie out by the parchment "handles" to slice with a hot knife, no need to invert and then try to right the cake.

I'm no brownie purist but I've never added fruit to them and I usually prefer them a little closer to the cake-y end of the brownie spectrum but these were amazingly good! Sophisticated enough to serve with wine as Dorie suggests, we enjoyed them chilled, with espresso or a glass of cold milk.

Visit here to see what everyone thought about these 2-bite treats.

18 comments:

  1. What a beautiful photo! I'm certainly lacking in that area. Weren't those brownies really delicious. I was not sure I would like the cherries and them but I did. I usually am a nut person in my brownies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    Your brownies looks divine! We ate them at room temperature, maybe I'll try chilling them in the fridge the next time! I love the plump, moist, "boozy" cherries in the brownies, so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, your brownies look perfect to me. I love a fudgy, gooey brownie! These were a great change up to regular brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, your brownies look perfect to me. I love a fudgy, gooey brownie! These were a great change up to regular brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heavenly looking brownies! And they were so wonderfully delectable! A big hit with my family! Lovely photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and my son have similar tastes:) I like all brownies so these fudge like brownies were a hit our house especially with ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How did you get those perfect edges? Mine had cherry everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the previous posters -- great photo! And I'm going to remember your tip about using a warm knife to cut through a chilled brownie -- hopefully I'll get your crisp cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your brownies look great. These are great treats with an espresso, you cut yours like a pro..

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really liked how you could chill these without ruining them. Your squares look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish that I had been canny enough to use something I already had to cook the fruit - I bought a cheap bottle of port when I read that some ladies used kirsch, which I had - duh! Your brownies look devine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zosia, the cherry brownies look and sound wounderfull , and thank you for stopping by, come by sometime and see my new post...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your brownies look perfect! I'm reminded of Dorie's other brownie recipes and how different they are from each other. But I don't have a favorite, they are all so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Parchment is one of the best inventions! Your brownies look perfect! I too never thought to add cherries (or any other kind of fruit) to brownies. I thought these were really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. They were a tad sweet, but I didn't have to worry about opening a bottle of wine - always one open around here ;-) Your brownies look deliciously decadent!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What perfect brownies! A little gooey is alright by me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not sure if I've ever had a brownie I didn't like! I'm glad you enjoyed these.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.