Monday, May 25, 2015

Salmon Tartare - IHCC Potluck

I decided to bring hors d'oeuvres to this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs Potluck, elegant but deceptively simple little canapés made with Jacques Pépin's Salmon Tartare from the book Julia and Jacques Cooking at Home, comprising fresh (raw) salmon, shallots, lemon, parsley, olive oil and hot sauce served atop marinated cucumber and pumpernickel bread.
This recipe represented a few firsts for me: my first time cooking with Jacques Pépin, not just for I Heart Cooking Clubs, but ever, and my first time making tartare of any type. I was surprised at how easy it was and pleased that despite the other ingredients, the salmon remained the star. I liked Jacques's suggestion of mounding the tartare on a nest of cucumber ribbons so I just minified it to create these delicious little nibbles.
I usually welcome a chef new to IHCC with a starter or an appetizer which is why I chose this as the first recipe to try from my new-used Jacques Pépin cookbooks, which finally arrived after being held up in customs for weeks (if you'd seen the way they were packaged, you would have been suspicious of the parcel too!). I'm looking forward to exploring more of his recipes with the other IHCC members over the next few months.

Visit here to enjoy all of the other potluck fare.

9 comments:

  1. This dish is stunning with the colors of the rainbow. The dish is almost jumping out of the page. Very appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy you received your books! I had never cooked Pepin's recipes prior to IHCC. I've been so impressed with his recipes. I think he may be all time favorite!

    Love how you minified this recipe. These look so dainty and delicate. Perfect for lunch with the ladies. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look like something that would be perfect for an afternoon tea party ... just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely salmon tartare! I have never cooked with Jacques Pepin recipes either, before being featured in IHCC.
    Glad that you finally got your books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The presentation looks so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the warm welcome to the group. I think it was through your website that I discovered IHCC. Your appetizer looks good and I like pumpernickel bread. Interesting story about your cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the sound of this and great entertaining idea!
    I am glad we are connected through this month's IHCC May Pot Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful dish. I would be proud to put this on my table for taste and appeal.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love how pretty your salmon tartare looks!! I'm sure this won't be your last mini nibbles from Jacques Pepin :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.