Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Rhubarb Upside-Down Brown Sugar Cake - Tuesdays with Dorie

I love rhubarb so I was looking forward to this week's Tuesdays with Dorie selection from Baking Chez Moi, and it didn't disappoint. 
The rhubarb was sweet-tart, and the ratio of caramelized vegetable to butterscotch flavoured cake was perfect. The cake was a little dense, but I had reduced the sugar by 1/3 the recipe so that may have played a role, but it was also very soft and moist and held together even after absorbing all of the juices released by the rhubarb while it baked. 
Apart from a red currant jelly glaze that provided a glossy finish, I didn't include any of the optional ingredients or accompaniments, but the cake didn't need them; it was delicious served as is. 

Visit Tuesdays with Dorie to see everyone's wonderful cakes.

14 comments:

  1. I love the color of your cake so nicely pink. Looks like it came out of the mold just percect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your rhubarb topping looks great. Good to know you can reduce the sugar without harming the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your decorating using the rhubarb! So elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cake looks great! It really does look perfect without whipped cream and strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your rhubarb is so pretty and pink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your cake looks so perfect, the color of the rhubarb is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cake looks so pretty! I have to pass on this week's bake, as rhubarb is one ingredient that I cannot find over here! Thought of substituting it for apples, but i guess it is not the same~! Wish I could have a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake is so pretty - such a lovely shade of pink.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cake turned out perfect. It was delicious and I look forward to making it again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cake looks great! I think its quite daring of you to cut the sugar:) I'm always afraid to tinker with a cake recipe but it worked for you! I think this cake would be great with different fruits. I'm seeing cherries in the market lately and think I might give them a try with this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yours looks perfect! I loved this cake, too. I like Guyla's idea of using cherries when the rhubarb is done. This cake would go so well with many fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cake looks picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cake looks picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your cake looks picture perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.