Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Twinkie Bundt Cake

I've never had a Twinkie but if my tasters are to be believed, the combination of this delicious vanilla cake and fluffy cream filling is far better.
Made with cake flour, butter, oil, buttermilk and lots of eggs and yolks, the pretty golden yellow cake was sturdy but very moist. The cake was cooled completely in the pan before being filled with a gooey marshmallow crème-butter mixture.
I used a cupcake corer to bore the initial holes into the cake and then a spoon to dig a little deeper and to create the tunnel that connected them.
I had leftover filling, so I probably could have dug a little deeper into the cake.
The recipe doesn't say to, but I plugged the holes with cake remnants before inverting it onto a plate.
A dusting of powdered sugar is suggested to finish the cake, but I didn't think it needed anything else. It was enjoyed amidst rave reviews so I suspect I'll be making it again.

If you would like to try the cake, the recipe is from Shauna Sever's book Pure Vanilla. The recipe can also be found here and if you would like to try your hand at making the marshmallow crème, the author's recipe (and how-to video) has been published here.

I'm sharing this post with Cook-Your-Books, hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours. Stop by to check out all of the delicious dishes shared this month.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Wow, that is such a lovely cake! I have never tried filling a baked cake by "creating" a tunnel in it! You have done a beautiful job!
    I would really love to have a slice! And my daughter would go ga-ga over the marshmallow creme!
    Thank you for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce. Kids really seemed to enjoy the filling, especially my husband, the biggest kid of all when it comes to sweets!

      Delete
  2. This looks really fun and amazing, Zosia! How did you like the taste of this cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun to make and I liked it alot! I now totally understand the popularity of the twinkle - there's something quite magical about the combination of vanilla cake and vanilla cream filling.

      Delete
  3. I love this cake! When Twinkie announced they were going out of business I bought my son one because he had never had one. He didn't particularly like it but this homemade cake looks great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.