Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Limoncello Cupcakes - Tuesdays with Dorie

Sweet and lemony like the liqueur, these pretty little cupcakes were made to herald the (very late) arrival of (almost) spring weather, and for Tuesdays with Dorie as the group continues to bake its way through Dorie Greenspan's latest book, Baking Chez Moi.
The cupcake batter was a variation of a French yogurt cake, took only minutes to mix together by hand and baked up with perfect, domed tops and a moist, light crumb. I made eight regular sized and eight mini cupcakes which baked in 18 and 10 minutes respectively.

The American-style butter and icing sugar frosting - one I was surprised to see in this book - was, as expected, very sweet and applied "French-style" was double what was needed. I tripled the lemon juice in the buttercream to introduce the tartness of the fruit into the dessert; the optional lemon marmalade or even a lemon curd filling would also have been a good addition.

Lemon cakes are among my favourites and I enjoyed this easy recipe; I would make it again but with a different buttercream. Visit here to see the rest of the group's lovely little cakes.

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful finishings! And I love that you made minis, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cupcakes look lovely. I found the frosting to be too sweat and to dry. Should have added more lemon juice. The cakes them selves were very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also had too much frosting. Your little cakes look so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also had leftover frosting, but I also made a double batch. Great looking cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beauitful cupcakes-I love the little pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful cupcakes and photo...makes me wish I could reach in and grab one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your cakes cooked up perfect. I will bake mine less next time and I think I will make again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cupcakes look lovely, Zosia! I like the buttercream. I am one who do not often frost my cupcakes but am so glad i did for this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great photo, Zosia! I like your idea of making different sized cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made the mini cupcakes too, realized when I started that I had tossed out my old regular pans. Time to go shopping.... Your cakes look great and quite delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your combo of minis and big ones! Make it look extra appealing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your cakes are lovely! Love the dragees - gives the cakes an elegant look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cupcakes are simply adorable! 3> your family of cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful cupcakes! I love the way you frosted them.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Zosia, I just love the flavor of lemon cupcakes or cake , absolutely lovely. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.