Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Coconut Tapioca - Tuesdays with Dorie

It's Tuesdays with Dorie today and this week's selection from Baking Chez Moi was brand new to me: chewy tapioca pearls suspended in a very creamy, subtly flavoured coconut pudding, but it took me two tries to get it right!
After my first attempt, which resulted in pearls that fell apart while soaking and a rubbery pudding that was overcooked in seven minutes, I decided that not all large pearl tapioca is created equal and the brand I had wasn't going to work using Dorie's instructions. 

Discussions on forums I came across online mentioned that some brands disintegrate in cold water but hot water creates a seal. When I found several recipes that called for precooking the tapioca in boiling water, that's what I did, cooking it for almost an hour until the pearls were translucent with just a white dot in the centre.

I followed the book's instructions from there using 120ml of the starchy cooking water in place of the same amount of milk to help thicken the pudding. This method worked.
Puddings are a real novelty for me and my family and everyone really enjoyed this one, even the first, gummy bear-like version! The pudding itself was silky and had a lovely sweet vanilla-coconut flavour, and the chewy tapioca was just plain fun to eat! (We're fans of bubble tea too!)

I served it as suggested with the Spiced Hibiscus Syrup (page 450) and fresh strawberries. The sweet syrup infused with the flavours of cardamom, peppercorns, hibiscus, and vanilla was a perfect complement to the rich pudding.

Did anyone else have the same problems? If you're as curious as I am to find out how everyone else fared with this recipe, visit here.

15 comments:

  1. They look great. I did not soak mine before using as it did not say that on the package and they turned out just fine. I found the syrup too sweat but very good after adding lemon juice. I´m glad your family liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I soaked mine but it's good to know that this doesn't work for every type since it was so hard for me to find. Your final result looks really fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to use small pearl and the bag said soak for 30 min…so I did that instead of the overnight. It worked fine. Your picture looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't have any problems since I used cheap, minute tapioca. It was fun to make something with coconut milk as I try not to use milk too much. Those large pearls ARE big. Not my favorite texture, but glad I made it and definitely glad I added chocolate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't have any problems since I used cheap, minute tapioca. It was fun to make something with coconut milk as I try not to use milk too much. Those large pearls ARE big. Not my favorite texture, but glad I made it and definitely glad I added chocolate. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zosia, such a nice presentation. It looks so pretty with the syrup and strawberry. My tapioca turned out, as you describe - gummy bearish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours came out gorgeous, Zosia! Love how the syrup and strawberries present on each glass…lovely contrast…beautiful! I would love to find some of that large pearl tapioca…sounds interesting! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your presentation! They look so fancy and high-end! I didn't use pearl tapioca myself, but I've made a note of your experience and directions for next time -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful presentation! My tapioca worked well just as the recipe was written. Interesting that some tapioca won't work for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, the presentation is gorgeous, so colorful. The syrup really finishes
    it topped with the strawberry. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tapioca looks perfect! Lovely with the red syrup and strawberries. Kudos to you for figuring out how to make this recipe work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Zosia,
    Your tapioca pudding looks perfect! And serving it with the hibiscus syrup and strawberries looks really good! You did great with this dessert, looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mine didn't fall aprt, but I used small pearl. Glad you gave it another shot and liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow you pudding looks beautiful. Much more appetizing than mine. And yes I had the same problems as you. I am looking forward to making again with some adjustments.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Boy does that look great! Nice work :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.