Monday, March 23, 2015

Peruvian Chicken Soup - IHCC Potluck

This week is potluck week at I Heart Cooking Clubs and though we can cook with any of the past featured chefs, I decided to make a Diana Henry recipe featuring chicken, Peruvian Chicken Soup from her book A Change of Appetite.

With a broth flavoured with lots of garlic and ginger in addition to leeks, carrots, onions, and chicken of course, I knew this soup would be special.
And it was. I cut the chicken into pieces so I could rescue the chicken breasts during the first hour (I don't like what happens to the white meat after 3 hours of cooking!) but otherwise followed the directions including those to reduce the strained broth to concentrate the flavours.
I refrigerated the broth overnight and continued the soup the next day, skimming the fat, and cooking the potatoes. With the cooked chicken added back in along with the finishing touches of fresh red chiles, coriander, spring onions, cooked eggs, avocado, and lime juice, it was ready to serve.
Delicious! The broth was richly flavoured but brightened by the ginger and all of the fresh ingredients. Filling, but not too heavy, it was the perfect soup to transition into spring.

9 comments:

  1. The broth looks clear and bright, so are the other ingredients. You don't get clear broth like this anywhere these days except in home kitchens. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zosia, I like your Peruvian Chicken Soup, it looks delicious and light and all so the different kinds of vegetables plus egg "yummy"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds so good! I love the sound of those flavours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm inspired by you again to cook a pot of soup! Gotta link up soon! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zosia,
    Wow, such a fresh and beautiful bowl of soup! Wish this is a real potluck, so that I could grab a bowl and enjoy! Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful bowl of food! Your photos are just so lovely! They make the soup look irresistable! I have just ordered that Diana Henry cookbook (at last!) ... I never tire of her take on food! Will miss concentrating on her here at IHCC, but Pepin calls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A beautiful bowl of soup indeed! The broth is looks so pure and clear. You can tell there was a lot of love put into this recipe:) The eggs are so pretty and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how bright, colorful and fresh this bowl of soup looks! Such a wonderful combination of ingredients and flavors. It is definitely a great transition soup for the season. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a truly beautiful looking soup. It looks so fresh and fabulous. I've never seen a soup quite like it, but I'd certainly like to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.