Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Crispy-Topped Brown Sugar Bars - Tuesdays with Dorie

Crispy-Topped Brown Sugar Bars from Dorie Greenspan's latest book Baking Chez Moi was this week's Tuesdays with Dorie pick. Comprising a tender shortbread-like cookie base, a layer of chocolate and a topping of Caramelized Rice Krispies, this treat was easy and fun to make.
I used a bittersweet chocolate (70% cacao) that I hoped would balance the sweetness of the other components and it did. The cookie-chocolate combination was quite good but not particularly special. The highly addictive Rice Krispies "brittle" that formed the topping was a different story, adding texture, flavour and lots of interest to the little bar cookie. 
 
I've halved a few of the recipes we've made so far but this one, I should have doubled! These were best enjoyed at room temperature with a glass of cold milk.

Visit here to see what the others thought of this sweet.

13 comments:

  1. Your bars look great. They look not as dark as mine. Did you bake them for 22 min? I loved the Rice krispies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, the rice crispies make this dessert! Without them it would be nothing special, i think. But adding caramelized rice crispies? Ka-bam, deliciousness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your base looks like it came out perfect, not too dark like mine. Room temperature is the right, too hard coming out the refrigerator. These went down fast and easy in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like the others said, you baked yours just perfectly! Such a yummy bar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were good, weren't they. So easy to make too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to agree with Diane, your base looks perfect, mine was a bit skimpy.
    I also used the bittersweet chocolate, worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agree, should have doubled this one. I will be making them again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree-this was delicious. The caramelized topping was extra special.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My boys thought these were a bit too crunchy yesterday, but one said today that he loves them now. They were a little more chewy a day later. He finished them off. I took 2 little bites of the crispy and it was definitely good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These bars are delightful and fun to eat! Yours looks wonderful. I should have made the caramelized rice krispies instead of using them direct from the box. Well, I can make them again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea to use bittersweet chocolate to balance out the sweetness! If I make the recipe again, I'll definitely use your idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bars look and sound delectable! I am sure the bittersweet chocolate was a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Picture perfect! I too used 70% chocolate hoping for the same thing. I think the brown sugar in the base, just made these overly sweet. The topping is addictive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.