Monday, March 2, 2015

Chile-Ginger Stir-Fried Squid - IHCC Heaven Scent

Lemon grass, mint, sautéed Thai bird chile, garlic, ginger....all highly fragrant and "Heaven Scent" and all were included in this dish from Diana Henry's book A Change of Appetite. There was also a dose of fish sauce added in, but how heavenly that scent is, is debatable!
This recipe was like most stir-fries, with most of the time spent preparing the ingredients. I reduced that considerably with a huge cheat, using frozen squid rings. With squid cleaning removed from the equation, this was very quick and easy to make.
I served it as recommended with steamed brown rice and stir-fried kai lan/Chinese broccoli (I still envy Joyce who can pick this fresh from her own garden!). The fragrance and flavours of this dish were fantastic, a wonderful combination of aromatics and sweet, salty, spicy heat with the freshness of lemongrass, mint and lime. Unfortunately, chopping and bashing the lemongrass as per the instructions wasn't enough to break it down so much of it was inedible, detracting somewhat from our enjoyment of the meal. Maybe the food processor next time....

Visit I Heart Cooking Clubs to read all of the other heavenly scented entries.

5 comments:

  1. Lemongrass is a tricky one - for slow-cooked dishes I tend to halve it lengthwise and bash it so I get the flavour but can fish it out. For something like this I think your food processor idea is a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the combination of the lemongrass, garlic, mint and ginger--so perfectly aromatic and heavenly for sure. ;-) I love all of the colors on the plate--very fresh and appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zosia,
    This is the kinda of dish that I would go for seconds! Love squids and all the fragrant herbs that goes into the dish! Serving it with rice with some kailan looks really yummy! I'll be harvesting another round of kailan tomorrow, wish I could share it with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha...yes, fish sauce is definitely not one of my favorite smells:)

    This dish looks fresh, light, and flavorful. Lots of wonderful aromatics!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zosia, thanks for inspiring me with lemongrass! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.