Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Pink Grapefruit Tart - Tuesdays with Dorie

This week's Tuesdays with Dorie project was the very pretty Pink Grapefruit Tart from Baking Chez Moi. I happen to love grapefruit and was looking forward to this but with four tasters who don't care much for the fruit combined with a very short shelf life, this tart was a candidate for minification. A multi-component dessert, a halved recipe of each fit perfectly into a 6-1/2" tart pan.
First up was the crust made from the Sweet Tart Dough (page 414). It was my first time making this and was very pleased with how easily it came together in the food processor and rolled between sheets of parchment. I baked the shell from frozen on serving day and chose not to heed the warnings of other bakers in the group who thought the oven temperature too high....lets just say it was (unintentionally) French-baked ;)!

The other components were just as simple to put together: a lemon-almond cream made with ground almonds and lemon zest, and a crémeux that started life as a grapefruit curd only to be transformed into a luxurious, creamy layer with the addition of (lots of) butter. One of my daughters is vegetarian so I omitted the gelatin and whisked powdered agar agar directly into the filling just before pouring it into the crust. Two teaspoons for a half recipe produced a nice, soft set.
The end result was a company-worthy dessert that presented beautifully and had a lovely combination of flavours and textures. I had expected, and hoped, that the crémeux would taste more of grapefruit; instead, it was very rich and buttery, almost approaching (Italian meringue) buttercream in flavour and consistency, but was pleasantly bittersweet. Apart from the fresh fruit garnish, the grapefruit was so subtle you really didn't need to love the fruit to love this tart. Family's enjoyment of their little wedges was proof of that!

Visit here to see the other beautiful tarts.

17 comments:

  1. I can't tell, but it looks like you may have omitted the Campari from your cremeux? If so, that might be one of the reasons why yours didn't taste more like grapefruit...

    I love how creamy you were able to get the cremeux, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did include the Campari; I think all that butter mellowed the flavour of the grapefruit curd a bit too much for me. But others loved it!

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I really loved this one - bought grapefruit at the store this afternoon to make it again :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it would look more pink than yellow. Yours looks picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your tart looks great! It's too bad you tasted more butter than grapefruit in the cremeux - at least butter tastes good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you used agar agar. Where did you find yours? And your grapefruit segments look so perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Margaret. I bought pure powdered agar agar online from well.ca (https://well.ca/products/now-real-food-agar-powder_19713.html). It was the only Canadian source I could find at the time but I think a few others carry it now. I've also found it in Asian grocery stores, but usually mixed with sugar.

      Delete
  6. Looks perfect. I made a 6 inch tart size and a third of everything worked well for that size. Love these small tart pans that are not tartlet size, they are so perfect for indulging but not too much! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks just perfect, love that you cut the recipe in half-next time I'm following your lead ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! Knowing that you were able to successfully cut the recipe in half makes me want to try it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous! Knowing that you were able to successfully cut the recipe in half makes me want to try it even more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wasn't this great! It was so elegant and delicious. Your mini looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that looks so pretty! and I saw your comment on my blog about how you used the agar...I always thought it had to be dissolved in liquid that's then brought to a boil. I'm so intrigued that you added it straight to the filling. I have a packet of powdered agar I should play around with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your tart turned out beautifully. My Ruby Red grapefruit had a lot of flavor so we really tasted the grapefruit. I agree with you that this was company worthy. I love Dorie's sweet tart dough. I have used it a few times and it always comes out perfect. I have decreased the cooking time as it seems long and apt to burn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your mini-tart is beautiful! I did this one full size, but took it to work to share the calories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for providing the agar agar alternative-love that this can be made vegetarian friendly. The finished product looks wonderful and still very creamy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.