Monday, January 5, 2015

Kale and Bulgur Pilaf with Glazed Figs - IHCC Mystery Box Madness!

Mystery Box Madness at I Heart Cooking Clubs is here again! I used five of the ingredients in the dish I made from Diana Henry's A Change of Appetite: onion, leafy greens and honey were included in the base recipe, feta was a suggested addition, and I substituted lemon for orange.
Delicious and surprisingly family friendly, though the sautéed onions and fennel had to be finely diced and the figs served on the side in order for it to be so, the pilaf of steamed bulgur and boiled kale was a very tasty and hearty dish. But it was the figs slowly roasted in honey and balsamic vinegar that made it truly special.
Sweet and sticky, a little tangy and juicy, they were fantastic, and went so well with the other ingredients! Not everyone agreed. I envisioned the extra figs on my morning oatmeal.....someone else was clearly a fan of them since there were none left next day! I will definitely make this dish again, with double the figs.

The five mystery box ingredients I didn't use were flour, buttermilk - sounds like the start of a yummy baked item, no? - prawns, potatoes and paprika. Visit here to see what everyone else made!

8 comments:

  1. "steamed bulgur and boiled kale " doesn't sound like a promising start but this looks absolutely gorgeous. It's going on my list of things to try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those glazed figs! They add such lovely colors to this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful plate of goodness. You have me drooling with those honey-glazed figs--especially when combined with the added feta. ;-) This is a wonderful main dish-ish salad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those figs looks so good! A healthy and vibrant looking dish!
    I just can't wait for my fig fruits to mature and ripen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those slow roasted figs looks so vibrant and glossy. They really make this an extremely inviting meal:) Love that you actually used five of the ingredients. Extra bonus points for you. Ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how yummy your figs look. I'm already imagining how it tastes like - roasted with balsamic and honey yums!! Your dish looks so refreshing with the colours and all :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore figs, and these look sublime. This is definitely on my list of "must-makes" once fig season rolls around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am not a huge fan of figs, but the remaining ingredients sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.