Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Granola Energy Bars - Tuesdays with Dorie

This week's chosen recipe for TWD from the book Baking Chez Moi was not only a delicious reprieve from the rich foods of last month but a great way to use up the detritus of holiday baking. With a base of old-fashioned oats, any combination of nuts, seeds and dried fruit could be added to make these tasty little bars.
I used the suggested ingredients since I had everything on hand, adding my leftover apricots and cranberries to the mix of toasted oats, almonds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds and unsweetened coconut, bound and sweetened with brown rice syrup.

Sweet - but not too sweet - with a wonderful crunchy-chewy texture and studded with colourful fruit, they were easy to make and far better than anything you can buy. I'll definitely be making these on a regular basis but I think chocolate-cherry-almond will be my next rendition...or maybe pistachio-apricot-orange with a little cardamom......

With so many creative bakers in the group, I think you'll find as many variations of these granola bars as you will TWD members! Check them out here.

24 comments:

  1. Your granola bars look so good so Christmas like with these colors white and red.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pistachio/orange/apricot/cardamom bars sound divine. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colors in your granola bars..the bright orange apricots with the cranberries..very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your bars look beautiful. The chocolate-cherry-almond sounds really good. So many variations out there to try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cardamon! That never would have occurred to me, but it would be nice! And I love your idea of using up holiday baking leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think these are going to be a regular rotation around here as well. So easy and so delicious! Yours look so pretty with that red and orange combination. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a light treat. Love the colors that came out on these.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look great. I love how yours maintained a lighter color. Mine got pretty dark and crunchy--but are still good. ;) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great suggestion - Cardamon! I am going to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had everything (except cranberries, which I skipped) on hand too. These were great, weren't they. Your cherry/chocolate/almond combination sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your granola bars look very professional! And delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Zosia,
    Your granola looks great! You are right, there are so many variations from the other bakers. I would be trying out some variations when I make these the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Zosia, love your granola energy bars and the colors are really pretty apricot and cranberries looks really amazing and must be delicious too , your blog is Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those look fantastic! I love your idea of a chocolate-cherry-almond version.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Luckily my dog can't reach my kitchen island. My husband was the culprit of the missing piece. We loved these too and the possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look fabulous! They were a big hit in my house! And I love the idea of cardamon…I might have to give that a try, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Bravo for having everything on hand. I didn't have the brown rice syrup, I've never tried it. The bars look super yum!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Zoisa, your bars look great! I think mine will be gone soon.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cardamom sounds like a great addition-the fact that you can change the ingredients without worrying is such a nice change!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, both your variations sound fantastic! I, too, used the suggested ingredients and thought they were so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your fruit is sooo gorgeous in there!!! Love your additions too.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your granola bars look gorgeous! I love the bright colors of the fruit. Since I added chocolate (which melted) to mine, they were a bit muddy looking. I think I'll try dipping them in chocolate or putting a chocolate squiggle on top next time.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.