Sunday, January 4, 2015

Cod with Ginger, Soy and Scallions - IHCC Happy, Healthy!

From Diana Henry's A Change of Appetite comes this simple steamed fish dish with big flavours for this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs' theme of Happy & Healthy dishes.
A quick mix of soy sauce, rice wine vinegar and sugar formed both fish marinade and sauce for the finished dish. Fresh ginger was added to the marinade for an extra punch of flavour and the fish was steamed in this mixture. To keep the dish low fat, Diana suggests steaming the garnish of fresh ginger, scallions and red chiles rather than frying them. I compromised by using a small amount of oil and rather than pouring it over fish, used it to stir fry some savoy cabbage for a side dish while the fish steamed. 
Pretty to look at and delicious to eat, this recipe was very healthy and made everyone very happy (especially the cook who put it on the table in less than 30 minutes!)....a great way to start the new year!

Visit IHCC to see what other healthy dishes were brought to the table.

6 comments:

  1. I like the way you compromise! So often we think of healthy dishes as time-consuming and this is proof that healthy dishes can be quick and painless. Looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fish cooked like this - I've always used a white fish though, and this salmon looks so much more flavoursome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, this is going on my list to make. Love the combination of flavors and stir-fried cabbage base. This would definitely make me happy too! ;-0

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like everything about this dish! Looks really delicious, and I can see having this with a plate of hot steamed white rice! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous. I love dishes like this that are super healthy, but still manage to pack in plenty in the flavour department. Great combination of flavours, and I love the way you used some of the oil to stir-fry some cabbage. Excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.