Monday, January 19, 2015

Buttermilk Roast Chicken - IHCC Potluck

I buy buttermilk regularly for two reasons: to do a little baking and to make this dish, Nigella Lawson's The Tenderest Chicken from the book How To Eat. The first recipe I ever made from the book, it's long since become a family favourite. It's easy, flavourful, and it lives up to its name.
Poor bird, such an undignified position.
You do need to be a little organized to make this since the best flavour is achieved if the chicken has a chance to marinate in the buttermilk-garlic-mustard-soy mixture for several hours - overnight is best - but the buttermilk will work it's magic in tenderizing the meat in as little as four hours. The recipe calls for chicken pieces and that's what I've always used, but I decided to try it with a whole spatchcocked bird this time. I omitted the butter and just rubbed the skin with a little olive oil before roasting.
Garlic Potatoes, a recipe from the same book and suggested side dish consisting of potato pieces and whole garlic cloves coated with a little olive oil, roasted alongside the chicken.
The recipe worked with the whole bird as well as it did with pieces: the skin was bronzed and the meat was juicy and flavourful, and the garlicky potatoes were crisp with a fluffy centre. Another great chicken dinner!

I'm bringing this dish to I Heart Cooking Clubs' potluck and Kitchen Flavours' Cook-Your-Books this week. Visit here and here to see what everyone else made.

11 comments:

  1. Oh wow! I wish your chicken dinner is my dinner! I love everything about it, the golden colour of both the chicken and potatoes! What a fantastic meal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I must make this dish! Looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous dinner. I am especially loving the color you got on both the chicken and potatoes. Those crisp-on-the-outside garlic potatoes have me drooling! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zosia, this is one exceptional and delicious looking bird that I'm ready to bite into. Good job, as always!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum, yum, yum, This sounds like my dream dinner. I'm not eating meat at the moment, but as soon as I start again, this dish is going to be high on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks delicious! I can almost smell it from your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not own a copy of Nigella's How To Eat, but I'm thinking I must buy it to get the recipe for this. The marinade for this chicken sounds like heaven to me. Buttermilk is the best way to ensure a moist juicy chicken and garlic, mustard and soy are the most wonderful flavors to add. Your potato wedges are mouthwatering as well. Absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will print out this recipe for dure, my family would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will print out this recipe for dure, my family would love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.