Monday, January 12, 2015

Apricot Compote with Yogurt and Saffron Syrup - IHCC Along the Spice Trail

This week's theme at I Heart Cooking Clubs is exotic spices. Yogurt with Honeyed Saffron Syrup, Almonds and Apricot Compote from Diana Henry's A Change of Appetite, featured two such spices: saffron and cardamom.
An easy, make-ahead dessert, it started with a simple compote, a slowly simmered mixture of apricots, juice (lemon, and orange in place of apple), agave syrup and water that helped to plump up the dried fruit and filled the kitchen with the heady aroma of cardamom. Honey, saffron water and orange flower water made up a sweet syrup. Both components were made the day before, allowing the flavours to develop overnight.
All that remained next day was assembly. Since a bowl of yogurt with fruit passes for breakfast around here, I changed the proportions of the dish making the juicy, spice-infused apricots the star of the dish. Served with a spoon of creamy Greek yogurt, a drizzle of saffron-honey syrup, and a sprinkle of toasted almonds, it made a light dessert with an exotic fragrance and lovely flavours. I will definitely make this again.

Visit here to see the other spiced dishes.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks good! Fantastic selection for this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always think of saffron and cardamom as being the most exotic spices. There is something so seductive and sexy about both of them. Love the color in this dessert. I think it would make a beautiful breakfast as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been wanting to make this one after seeing it in the book and your photos make me want it all the more. Such a vibrantly colored and beautiful dish. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this refreshing dish. I'm very sure that even with saffron and cardamom, it won't overpower this dish. It also brings such a lovely colour to the dish :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.