Tuesday, December 9, 2014

The Rugelach That Won Over France - Tuesdays With Dorie

This week's TWD choice from Baking Chez Moi is rugelach, a popular Jewish cookie with a cream cheese-rich pastry rolled with a fruity, nutty and often chocolatey filling. 
The cookie is no stranger to me since it's graced my Christmas cookie trays for many years. In fact, Dorie's dough recipe is exactly the same as the one I've been using, but all resemblance to my recipe ends there. The differences are primarily in the techniques of making and shaping the dough, leaving pieces of butter and cream cheese in it and rolling it very thinly to help create flaky layers during baking, and shaping it into a cigar-shaped roll that's sliced and baked, producing cylinder-shaped cookies instead of the crescent shape I make.

I followed these instructions and the other tips provided, and having made them before, used a few tricks of my own, finely chopping the filling ingredients in the food processor which does it far more efficiently than I, and rolling the dough tightly around the filling to minimize filling loss during baking. I sliced the chilled rolls and froze the cookies before baking. 375F worked better than 400F in my oven, browning but not burning the exterior while cooking the dough all the way through.

Dorie's method resulted in a superior cookie with each little bundle of deliciousness comprised of multiple layers of flaky pastry and sweet, chewy filling. And lets talk about that filling....who can resist chocolate and cherries with crunchy pecans and chewy coconut? Well, apparently the coconut-haters among my tasters can! 

I and many others thought they were fantastic and worth repeating, perhaps sans coconut next time! And while I did love the texture and flavour of the cookie, I really missed the crescent shape, so I'll definitely be returning to that.

Do visit the other TWD members' posts for these delicious Rugelach That Won Over France here.  

We're not publishing the recipes from the book but I encourage you to buy it, you won't be sorry.

13 comments:

  1. I'm going to try that lower temperature as I really like the color that you got on your cookies. Mine seem to get a little dark by the time the cookies were baked all the way through. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the food processor tip - the chunky filling made life hard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The color of your rugelach is great! I'm with you on the baking temperature; 400 degrees seemed high to me, so i baked mine at 375F, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful rugelach! I agree the crescent shape makes a beautiful cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zosia,
    Yours looks perfect! Love the golden colour. Most of my rugelach crumbles to pieces when I sliced them. This is one cookie that I'll be trying again one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your coffee cup. Bundle of deliciousness is a great description of these cookies. I have a coconut hater in my family too but me and my husband loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have no idea why I didn't think to chop my filling in a food processor. I made it very fine but all by hand-and my food processor was sitting right there! These look fabulous. I agree-the filling was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your cup and tea pot! So pretty! I also love how lovely your rugelach looks…I chopped my filling in my food processor too! The chocolate chips, and cranberries were way too big to roll into the rugelach! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look perfectly delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cookies! Such a good idea to chop the filling in the food processor. Did you chop the chocolate in the food processor too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carlene. I did chop the chocolate in the processor. In fact, it went in first since it was the hardest to break down.

      Delete
  11. Your cookies turned out so well! I think it does matter if you have experience with rugelach. Next time, I'm going to use the food processor to chop the filling and I'm going to lower the oven temperature.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started my cookies at 400˚ but then turned the oven down to 375˚. So happy I did! I'd love to give these cookies another try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.