Monday, December 22, 2014

Lemon-Soy Sauce Braised Chicken - IHCC Potluck

It's Mark Bittman's turn in my kitchen for this month's IHCC potluck with the very flavourful Chicken Braised in Soy Sauce and Lemon from his book How to Cook Everything.
Relatively quick to make, chicken pieces were braised in a mixture of soy sauce, water, lemon zest, garlic and cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes as I used. You have the option of first browning the chicken pieces, but this step takes time and adds unnecessary fat to the dish; I used skinned chicken thighs and as you can see from the pictures, the soy sauce gave them a lovely burnished look without frying. 
Finished with some fresh lemon juice, the dish was quite lemony in flavour with the soy sauce doing what it does best, adding that indefinable umami flavour. Despite it not being particularly Asian, I served it with stir-fried Shanghai bok choy and mushrooms, and steamed brown rice for a weeknight meal that was easy on the cook and a hit with family.

I'm  also sharing this post with Cook-Your-Books hosted by Joyce. Visit I Heart Cooking Clubs and Kitchen Flavours to see what everyone else made this month!

7 comments:

  1. This dish looks perfect for me. Simple yet tasty chicken. I like the idea that it is skinless and without frying. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that is a gorgeous color on that chicken and I like the combination of flavors. Mark Bittman does it again! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year and always happy cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm always impressed by the thought you put into your cooking. It was definitely the right move to skip the browning, and the associated fat, and go straight to the braising. The soy sauce does lend a beautiful color to the dish. Looks like a wonderful and family-pleasing meal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a delicious meal! I totally agree with skipping the browning of the chicken! Braising it with soy sauce gives a lovely colour and a delicious idea to served with bok choy!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love all the flavours in this, and looks pretty healthy too. Love the Asian vibe of serving it with bok choy, mushrooms and brown rice. Great dish.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.