Sunday, December 14, 2014

Beet & Carrot Fritters with Dill-Yogurt Sauce - IHCC Party Pleasers

I've written before about the importance to me of beets during the holiday season with barszcz (Polish beet soup) the opening course of our family Christmas Eve feast. Potato pancakes, latkes, or placki kartoflane as I know them are also a family tradition, one of our favourite suppers on meatless Fridays growing up. It was a given that I would make a beet dish for this week's IHCC theme of "party pleasers" and in my search for one, I came across Beet and Carrot Fritters from A Change of Appetite, a recipe that combined these two important-to-me foods. A creative take on potato pancakes, they included shredded carrots and beets, with sautéed onion and garlic for added flavour.
With the help of a food processor that did the shredding for me, these were easy to put together. The cooking instructions seemed a little complicated with constant turning and heat adjustments required; I just patted the mixture of vegetables, aromatics and eggs out into thinner pancakes and cooked them a few minutes each side on medium-high. They were golden and crisp and fully cooked in the centre. Sour cream was a traditional accompaniment to the pancakes of my youth but I switched to Greek yogurt years ago - garlic and fresh dill were delicious additions.
These were fantastic! I was very pleased that the beets didn't overwhelm the other ingredients, allowing the flavour of the potatoes and carrots to come through. They would be perfect as a starter for a festive dinner party or as one of the offerings at a latke party during Hannukah!

Visit IHCC to see the rest of the party menu!

3 comments:

  1. Fritters are indeed an ultimate party pleaser! Love the beet's color. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks vibrant and yummy! Using beets in a fritter sounds really interesting! These fritters looks like the perfect starter indeed! Lovely choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have these tagged to make so I am glad you did. Love the festive color--a perfect pick! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.