Saturday, November 1, 2014

Cranberry-Pumpkin Rolls - Avid Baker's Challenge

Sweet or savoury? I was initially confused by this month's Avid Baker's Challenge pick, a yeast-raised bread that contained quite a few sweet ingredients and some pumpkin-friendly spices. But in looking at the amounts, I decided it fell on the savoury side of the fence.
The recipe comes from King Arthur Flour, with whom we've been baking for almost two years, and I had intended to make it exactly as written; I knew I had all of the ingredients including the crystallized ginger, though I couldn't recall when I'd used it last - never a good sign - but when I finally located it, I found that it was rock hard, so omitted it :(!
As with most of the bread recipes I've made from this site, the dough was very easy to make with my stand mixer doing the work, and also easy to handle and shape after proofing. I did knead the cranberries in by hand for more even distribution and shaped the dough into 12 sandwich sized buns, approx. 105g each, that baked in 20 minutes. The bread was lovely and soft and the pumpkin and spice flavours were quite subtle.
They were perfect for our day after Thanksgiving roast turkey, back bacon and cheddar sandwiches!

The recipe for the Cranberry-Pumpkin Rolls can be found here, and do visit ABC to see the other members' variations.

8 comments:

  1. Love the idea of making this into a sandwich! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cranberry, pumpkin, turkey, bacon combinations make me hungry for a Thanksgiving meal. Your rolls are so perfectly taut and round. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Sandwiches..I love it. Your rolls look exactly perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally in love with your sandwiches. Perfection. My rolls were very sticky, and yours are so well formed. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful round buns, I like these better than the ones baked in a muffin tin. The fell on the sweet side of the fence overhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your idea of using these buns to make sandwiches. They look beautiful, great job! Like Karen, my dough was very sticky.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your rolls look perfect. Could take a tiny (ok....a big one) bite of the sandwich :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice!
    I soaked the ginger and fruits in rum - I don't like biting in hard fruit bits, either. Good idea to turn them into a sandwich with turkey leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.