Monday, November 24, 2014

Chicken with Cilantro and Spinach Rice - IHCC Potluck

It's potluck week at I Heart Cooking Clubs which means we can cook with any of the featured chefs, past or present. I made chicken dishes for the last 2 potlucks and thought I would continue the theme with Tessa Kiros who took me to Peru with this fantastic chicken and rice pilaf from Falling Cloudberries.
She also took me a little outside of my comfort zone. The dish started with sautéed garlic, carrots, sweet bell peppers and peas...nothing unusual there. But then a purée of fresh cilantro and spinach was added which ultimately became the flavour base of the entire dish. Mixed with water, it formed the braising liquid for the chicken and the cooking liquid for the rice. The ingredients completely melded together during cooking to create a wonderfully complex flavour. 
The chicken was fall of the bone tender but it was the rice that was the star, absorbing the flavours of the vegetables, herbs and spices. A dollop of cumin-flavoured yogurt and drizzle of hot chilli oil finished the dish nicely. Definitely one to repeat.

Visit IHCC to see what everyone else brought to the potluck!

I'm also sharing this post with Cook-Your-Books, a monthly cooking/baking event hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours. 

8 comments:

  1. And pray tell, where is the recipe? I have searched high and low and can't find it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce,
      I don't publish recipes that aren't my own but I have found this one online, hopefully published with the author's permission. Here's the link if you're interested:
      http://www.thenest.com/ODB/themes/recipes/detailview.aspx?STOPREDIRECTING=TRUE&type=7&id=42777&MsdVisit=1

      Delete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    This looks so delicious! I love Tessa Kiros's recipes! Have made two of her rice recipes before and they were delicious! Bookmarked this! Wonderful potluck choice! Thanks for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm... this looks fabulous. I love the idea of that cilantro and spinach puree and that cumin yogurt on top is the perfect touch. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I'd be happy with just a bowl of rice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zosia, I love how Tessa brought you to Peru and back :) This is definitely a nice, homecooked meal for the family. I love how the rice will absorb all the flavours of the cilantro and how tender the chicken meat is. I'm bookmarking this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, I remember now that this was one of the first dishes I made back when we had our stint with Tessa Kiros, and I loved it. Good reminder that I need to make it again.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.