Monday, October 20, 2014

Spicy Grilled Chicken with Cumin Carrots, Peas and Potatoes - IHCC Potluck

It's Madhur Jaffrey's turn in my kitchen for this month's I Heart Cooking Club's potluck theme. I made two dishes from her book Madhur Jaffrey Indian Cooking: Spicy Baked Chicken with Carrots, Peas, and Potatoes Flavoured with Cumin.
The weather was sunny and mild when I made this a few weeks ago so though the recipe for the main was for oven-roasted chicken pieces, I decided to grill it. I used 1kg boneless, skinless chicken breasts and about half of the marinade recipe, which was more of a paste really, made with cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, turmeric, garlic and lemon juice. I left it to marinate all day and cook in the evening. The meat was tender and juicy and very flavourful. Unfortunately, cooking it this way meant that the spice mixture wasn't able to mix with the pan juices to create a lovely sauce, so I will definitely make this again, roasting bone-in chicken pieces.
As a side, I made a colourful vegetable dish that was simple to put together and quite quick to cook provided you had some cooked potatoes on hand. I didn't so boiled some in the morning while I prepped the chicken and marinade. The carrots and peas were cooked with fried cumin seeds, hot red chiles, and sautéed onions (I used only 1), with the potatoes and some scallions added at the end to warm through. This was a great way to add some interest to the typical peas and carrot combination. The recipe says it serves six but that depends on what else is served - if it's the only vegetable on offer it serves 3-4.
With just a little advance preparation, this became an easy and tasty meal for a busy weeknight.

Visit IHCC to see the other chefs featured this month.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    wow, that is one beautiful meal! The chicken with all the spices, must be really delicious, and the vegetable dish looks so appetizing and vibrant! Wonderful potluck choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a colorful meal with those great Jaffrey flavors. I LOVE cumin and just want to eat up all of those potatoes, peas and carrots! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely colors. Delicious and healthy choice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love chicken dishes. So happy to see if you at potluck. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks wonderful and I like the way you presented the plate in that last photo! Food photography is always so interesting to me ... how people stage their foods can make things look so appealing or leave a dish sitting glum (but still tasting great!). Ah, the art of the food blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a fantastic dish, and I love the opportunities it presents to prepare ahead. I often plan dishes in this way, so this really appeals to me. The flavour of the chicken sounds amazing, and I can imagine how creating a sauce out of the pan juices when roasted would be sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful combination of spices and between that and the garlic it had to be divine! The veggie dish looks wonderful and I'm really wishing I had the recipe! Fried cumin seeds with a little extra spice from the chiles sounds like a unique way to serve veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cumin flavoured potatoes sounds very exotic for a girl from Northern Germany, interesting to see what has been chosen this week,

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.