Monday, October 27, 2014

Soy Mushrooms with Egg Ribbons and Black Sesame - IHCC What came first? The chicken or the egg?

Cooking for a family of five that has varied likes and dislikes uses up most of my cooking mojo so it's very rare that I cook a dish just for myself. In reading Diana Henry's A Change of Appetite, Soy Mushrooms with Egg Ribbons and Black Sesame caught my attention and fit this week's I Heart Cooking Club's theme of chicken and/or eggs. The caveat: it was intended to serve only one. I considered making a larger batch to share. Alas, I had only enough mushrooms for a single serving ;).
For this recipe, sautéed mushrooms flavoured with soy sauce were made a little richer with a small amount of crème fraîche and were topped with strips of a one-egg omelette and a sprinkling of sesame seeds. Diana describes this dish as a "lip-smacking serving of umami". I describe it as a delicious way to spoil oneself!
The recipe for this easy breakfast for one - or lunch/dinner with a salad - is from A Change of Appetite and can also be found here.

Check out IHCC to see the other chicken and/or egg themed dishes (what did come first??) from Diana Henry.

9 comments:

  1. This dish is so lovely! I like the egg ribbons. Gotta try making this. I'm running out of breakfast ideas for my 14-month-old who can be quite a picky eater sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    This is such a delicious meal! Eggs and mushrooms are my favourites!
    This is just perfect for just about any meal of the day, from breakfast, to brunch, and dinner! A fabulous choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this recipe and thought hard about making it. Your post just made me move it up the "to make" list. Yum! I would happily gobble this up any time of day. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks and sounds so good! and I love your comment about its being a delicious way to treat oneself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know exactly what you mean. Son 1 loves eggs, but no mushrooms, son 2 the other way round. Sometimes I enjoy the cooking just for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That definitely looks like something I would love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the flavor of black sesame seeds - it has such a nice smoky flavor - this must have been so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just rushed to the shelf and got my book out to bookmark this one. This is the kind of dish that I love, and as I will be cooking for one most of this week, this dish is now top of the list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Umami is the first thing that came to mind when I glanced at the picture. Bonus that it is so simply and easy to put together.

    I sympathize with you on meeting everyone's likes and dislikes. It's tough job to satisfy everyone's palate. So glad you were able to enjoy this special dish:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.