Monday, October 6, 2014

Feta and Orange Salad with Honeyed Almonds - Welcome Diana Henry IHCC

In the fall, along with shorter days, cooler weather, and the changing leaves comes another inevitability, a moratorium on my cookbook purchases. Since my birthday is in the fall, followed shortly by Christmas, my family prefers that I don't buy myself cookbooks from my wishlist, but with so many fantastic new ones released and still to be released this year, not to mention older books I would like, my list is really very long. I didn't think they'd notice if one suddenly disappeared from it: Diana Henry's newest release, A Change of Appetite. I had the best of reasons for the purchase after all, since the author is our newest featured chef here at I Heart Cooking Clubs for the next six months and I needed to start cooking now(!)
To welcome her, I made a starter from my newest acquisition. This was a lively salad of shaved fennel, peppery greens, fresh mint, and juicy oranges, dressed with a sweet-tart dressing made with the juice of the oranges and white wine vinegar.
Topped with toasted sweet and spicy almonds and tangy feta, the salad was bright and refreshing with a great variety of textures. I particularly loved the freshness of the mint and the crunch of the almonds. Diana and I are off to a delicious start!

If you would like to try it and don't yet have the book (which is absolutely gorgeous!), the recipe for Feta and Orange Salad with Honeyed Almonds can be found here.

Visit IHCC to see the other welcoming posts. 

10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful salad! Reminds me of a treat one might have in the late winter/early spring when citrus is still plentiful and the first herbs can be gathered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    Your salad is just gorgeous! Beautiful colours and so fresh looking! I have bookmarked this to try too! I've just ordered two of her books, and I almost bought this book. There so many books on my wishlist too, and it is not getting any shorter! We are a bunch of cookbook addicts! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This salad looks and sounds like spring, not like the beginning autumn. I have no fresh mint in the garden any more. I could eat it right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Zosia, such an amazing looking salad. Always love learning about different cookbook authors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful choice, Zosia. This is such a gorgeous salad and your photos are beautiful. I bought Change of Appetite too and I'm loving it - I've made three dishes from it already.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love everything about this salad--orange, fennel, feta, almonds--Yum!. ;-) I finally ordered the book (i have a couple of her older ones) and can't wait to start cooking from it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zosia, I like how you decide to make this refreshing salad with the beautiful ingredients used esp almonds. Now I can't wait for my book to arrive!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes Please.
    I understand your cookbook dilemma. I really need to get one of her books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.