Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Cinnamon-Apple and Nutella Twist Breads - Avid Baker's Challenge

This month's ABC challenge was Cinnamon-Apple Twist Bread from the King Arthur Flour website, a recipe that made two breads. I made one as written, and one with a little twist of my own.

From the options available for the sweet yeast dough, I used half each (by weight) of unbleached all-purpose flour and Cake & Pastry flour (a blend that's available here), potato flour, and Princess Cake flavouring, omitting the optional lecithin. Once baked, the crumb was fine and quite dense, but soft and moist, and the bread was very flavourful.
I used only half the sugar (and flour) in the apple filling, and Granny Smith apples which held their shape and retained their sweet-tart flavour after baking. And for the chocoholics, a schmear of Nutella (about 125ml) went into the second braid. In place of the glaze, I brushed a simple syrup on the hot loaves to give them a little bit of a sheen.
These breads were just lovely, not just because they looked and tasted so wonderful, but because the apple-cinnamon flavour in particular reminded family of an Apple Roll my grandmother-in-law, who has long since passed, used to make that no one has been able to reproduce.

Definitely a recipe that will be made again.

11 comments:

  1. Those look absolutely fabulous. Wonderful colour and love that Nutella twist as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, beautiful loaves!! I love how pronounced the swirl is in the Nutella loaf. I'm considering using apple butter in the other loaf. We'll see :) I made the dough last night, and retarded overnight in the fridge. Can't wait to go home after work and bake it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NUTELLA! What a great idea- I'm so doing that the next time I make this. They came out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo I love the Nutella one! They are both beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool idea with Nutella! Your bread looks picture perfect; it almost jumps out of the page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both look lovely, but that Nutella one - yes, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty breads - and who can resist Nutella?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The braids look perfect. Love the color on the Nutella one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both the rolls, so tempting to make some too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.