Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Smoky Chicken and Potatoes with Roasted Tomatoes - IHCC Potluck

We - my family and I - have graduated....sort of. When I first made this chicken dish, the first recipe I ever tried from Rick Bayless's Mexican Kitchen, I used half the quantity of chiles and we still thought the dish was hot! Two years and several spicy dishes later, I'm adding the full complement of chiles and we find it pleasantly spicy!
Like many of the recipes in this book, this one relies on one of the author's "essential sauces" for most of its flavour; the Quick-Cooked Tomato-Chipotle Sauce, made with toasted dried chipotle chiles and roasted garlic and tomatoes, is the basis for this dish. Apart from making the sauce (which I now do in bulk and freeze), the Smoky Shredded Chicken and Potatoes with Roasted Tomatoes is quite quick and easy to prepare. Skinless chicken thighs - I love that he calls for skinless - are braised in the essential sauce while grated potatoes and sliced onions are cooked in a separate pan.
One way to serve this is to shred the cooked chicken and toss it with the potatoes, onions and sauce but Rick suggests the alternative of serving the whole thighs on the bed of potatoes, the route I went this time around. The dish is then topped with avocado and queso fresco cheese. Prepared this way, the chicken is always moist and delicious and the sauce smoky and flavourful with just a little bit of heat.
With a thought to future meals, I often cook more than I need so the extra chicken I made, shredded and mixed with leftover sauce, became the filling for quesadillas a few days later.
This is potluck week at I Heart Cooking Clubs, a week when we can cook with any of the featured chefs, present or past. Visit here to see what the other members have made.

6 comments:

  1. I've heard so many good things about Rick Bayless' recipes. I keep thinking I have to check him out (at the library). Those photos are more incentive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teresa. I do hope you give one of his books a try - his approach to Mexican cooking makes it seem so doable, especially for a novice like me.

      Delete
  2. Hi Zosia,
    I would love to have your quesadillas for my meal! Chicken, avocados and cheese, sounds so good! It has been quite a while since I last cooked with Rick Bayless's recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it interesting how your palate changes? I love the vibrant color of the tomato-chipotle sauce. It looks equally delicious whether served over potatoes or in a quesadilla. Of course, I'd have to have one of each:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made any Bayless dishes. My bad, cause this looks fantastic!! I would def be a baby when it came to the peppers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your graduation to a full-blown "chilli-head" :-) Delicious looking dish, and great use of the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.