Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Baked French Cruller Doughnuts

It's not exactly a statistic I'm proud of, but Canadians consume more doughnuts and have more doughnut shops per capita than anyone else in the world! Somebody must be eating my share because my visits to a shop are quite infrequent. I will however, admit to a favourite indulgence of mine on one of those rare occasions that I do go: the French Cruller. Sweet, light and airy even though it's fried, it tends to be a little too easy to eat and disappears all too quickly.
You can imagine then how excited I was to find a recipe for a baked version of this sweet treat in one of my cookbooks: A Passion for Baking by Marcy Goldman. Made of pâte à choux, usually used to make cream puffs and éclairs, this simple dough is made with just water, butter, flour and eggs, and in this recipe, enriched with milk, a little sugar and vanilla.
cruller dough baked cruller
Once the dough is made, it's piped onto baking sheets in concentric circles and baked. I made a half recipe of the dough and made my doughnuts just a little smaller than suggested, about 8 cm across instead of 10, so my yield was 16. Unlike a cream puff, you're not really concerned about baking until the interior is dry......in fact, you do want it to be moist.
While still warm, the doughnuts are dipped into a vanilla glaze made of melted butter and icing sugar thinned out with warm water. I used warm milk instead and had to add double the amount to get the right consistency for a thin, barely-there coating. 
Sooo good......it rivals the best doughnut shop's offering.

I'm sharing this post with cook-your-books hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours. Please visit to see what everyone else is cooking up this month.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Oh my! I can see how addictive this must be! One is definitely not enough. I don't mind indulging in this delicious treat once in a while! :) Looks really good!
    Thanks for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce. They are quite addictive so a small batch is always a good idea!

      Delete
  2. Hi Zosia, love these doughnuts and the vanilla glaze sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zosia, these cruller doughnuts look so so delicious!! The idea of sweet, light and airy would beat the thoughts of fried food anytime ;) I'm sure my family would finish it all up in no time! Yummilicious :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.