Monday, September 1, 2014

Almond Tart - Avid Baker's Challenge

I love it when a recipe surprises you.....in a good way, of course. This Almond Tart from the King Arthur Flour website, the Avid Baker's challenge for September, did just that. I don't recall now what I was expecting when I saw this month's selection, but it certainly wasn't an easy recipe that used only pantry staples, nor was it an elegant tart with a tender shortbread crust and moist filling redolent with almond.
The first step was to contend with the almond cookie crust which was perfect for the pastry challenged like me: no rolling required! There was some chilling and pre-baking needed, but it didn't involve much time.
The filling, with (more) ground almonds, sugar, butter and eggs was even easier to make, taking just a few minutes to put together. Both crust and filling called for almond extract, a flavouring I find quite potent and best used rather judiciously, so I used only half. 
Coming out of the oven, the tart was quite plain looking but with a few garnishes (I skipped the glaze in the recipe) was easily made company-worthy. Some vanilla poached peaches finished it nicely. This was a huge crowd-pleaser and something I will definitely make again.

Visit ABC to see what the other members thought.

13 comments:

  1. Perfection! Did you grind blanched almonds or use something else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Paula. I used Bob's Red Mill brand of almond flour/meal. I can never hope to get almonds as finely or as evenly ground as that product using my food processor.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful tart, I agree it was easier to make than the endresult makes you think. Next time I'll make a large one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lien. I was really pleased with how easily it sliced and was able to serve 12 with it.

      Delete
  3. Wow Zosia! Came on to check out your CCC since I've been cooking for festivities all holiday weekend- but have to say- your tart- and photographed- beautiful perfection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice of you to say Peggy, thank you.

      Delete
  4. This looks like perfection! The sprinkling of powdered sugar is a great idea, rather than doing the glaze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trisha. Serving it with peaches, I didn't think it needed the glaze but being soooo beige, needed some kind of help ; )!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! The powdered sugar adds both elegance and simplicity. Love how much your filling came out. I have yet to make mine but I'm envisioning something reminiscent of frangipane. Am I off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hanaâ. The filling is very much like frangipane....moist, sweet and very almondy.

      Delete
  6. Your tart looks sinful. Perfect looking crust. I will make this tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sunita. Shortcrust pastry and I just don't get along so it was a real pleasure to make this crust!

      Delete
  7. Zosia, it was the element of surprise the first time I baked this tart, like the way you described it, that got me hooked on this recipe. I don't see a "pastry challenged" baker. What you did was perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.