Monday, August 25, 2014

Tuna, Pickled Ginger and Cucumber Salad - IHCC In Quite a Pickle

For this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs' theme of pickled foods, I made a recipe I've had bookmarked since I received my copy of Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries 2 almost two years ago, Tuna, Pickled Ginger and Cucumber Salad

The recipe calls for making tuna ceviche, allowing lime juice to "cook" the cubed, raw fish. I didn't think this would go over too well with family - which is why I've put off making this for so long - so decided to really cook the tuna, a first for me since I prefer to leave that to people who actually know what they're doing. The searing of my sesame seed crusted steaks didn't go too badly with the fish ending up just slightly more done than I had intended, but in my haste to slice it right out of the pan, I think I chose the worst possible knife in the kitchen for the job, so please excuse the mess I made of that beautiful fish.
Fortunately, the flavour wasn't affected. The dish was like deconstructed sushi (without the rice) with thinly sliced cucumbers, carrots and pickled ginger dressed with rice vinegar, a little sugar and the flavourful ginger pickling liquid. Since I didn't use the lime juice earlier, I included some in the dressing. Topped with the tuna slices, this was as light, fresh and bright tasting as Nigel promised in the headnotes to the recipe. And now that family has eaten - and enjoyed - medium-rare tuna, I think they're ready for ceviche!

Visit here to see what everyone else made with pickles at IHCC.

4 comments:

  1. That looks delicious and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pretty dish. Seared tuna can be a pain to cut for sure. I always end up hiding some of my pieces. ;-) This is my perfect kind of dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zosia,
    That dish looks wonderful! The tuna with the pickled and cucumber salad sounds great together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally delicious - absolutely my kind of dish. I just want to dive into my computer screen and get stuck in!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.