Thursday, August 7, 2014

Grated Carrot Salad/Carottes Rapées

This Grated Carrot Salad/Carottes Rapées recipe comes from one of my favourite new cookbooks, My Paris Kitchen by David Lebovitz. Written in his characteristic style, filled with humorous anecdotes as well as delicious food, it's as good a read as it is a cookbook.
David claims that "if you're French, it's in your DNA to know how to make this salad." It's certainly easy enough, relying on just a few pantry staples to enliven a bowl of grated raw carrots: olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt, and some fresh herbs. The recipe also calls for a little honey or sugar, something I would consider adding come winter when they're a little starchier, but the young carrots I used didn't need any sweetening so I omitted it.
Simple and delicious...the perfect side for an easy summer meal and one that will brighten up any dinner plate during the winter months.
I'm sharing this post with Cook-Your-Books hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours. Come join us this month and cook from one of your books!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    This is one lovely salad. The sweet carrots with its crunchy texture, makes a wonderful salad, and perfect as a side dish.
    I have been eyeing this book, so many books on my list!
    Thanks for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful book, Joyce, I highly recommend it. And I know what you mean about that book list.....mine is quite long as well ;)!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.