Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Spiced Lentils with Mint Yogurt - IHCC Off the Spice Rack


I'm not sure what Nigel's intent was in downplaying this dish, calling it "just something to eat", "understated" and just "fine". Perhaps it's because I don't make or eat curries often that I thought this dish of Spiced Lentils, Mint Labne from The Kitchen Diaries 2 far from ordinary. Spiced with cumin, coriander, garam masala and turmeric and with ginger, garlic, onions and hot chillies included, every bite was incredibly flavourful.
I used Puy lentils since that's what I had and precooked them as directed. In a separate pan, once the onions were cooking, the spices and aromatics were processed to form a paste - I used a mortar and pestle - then fried to release their flavour. Canned tomatoes, water and the lentils were added and simmered until done. A topping of labne/yogurt with fresh and dried mint mixed in added a nice, cooling element.
An accompaniment of rice or flatbread was suggested so I served the dish with Cardamom-Scented Sweet Potato Roti (from Home Baking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World by Jeffrey Alford and Naomi Duguid) whose subtle sweetness complemented the spicy dish.

Quite often I'm drawn to one of Nigel's recipes by its name or the diary entry for the day, this time it was the ingredients, perfect for this week's I Heart Cooking Clubs' theme "Off the Spice Rack". Visit IHCC to see what other spiced foods are on offer this week.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    The lentil dish sounds really flavourful with all that spices. And serving it with the cardamom scented flatbread is just perfect. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a big fan of lentils, looks like a filling meal. I need to check out The Kitchen Diaries 2, I only have the first book,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love lentil dishes, especially one that is beautifully spiced and fragrant like this. Looks gorgeous too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love lentils--so satisfying and good. I love all of the spices in this one and your roti is just gorgeous too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live lentils and in combination with cardomom scented roti sounds it perfect, also for me ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing to downplay about this dish. A lentil dish is pretty much pure comfort food. Filling and satisfying just like a warm blanket. Not to mention all the spices and that gorgeous mint labne. Hand me a flatbread and I'd be a very happy girl:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.