Friday, July 4, 2014

Mozzarella with Grilled Fennel - IHCC Starters & Nibbles

For this week's theme of appetizers and small plates at I Heart Cooking Clubs, I made Mozzarella with Grilled Fennel from featured chef Nigel Slater's book The Kitchen Diaries.
I love fennel prepared by just about any method but grilling is a particular favourite; it retains its sweetness and licorice flavour and the charring adds another dimension. That's all the cooking that's required for this dish before topping the vegetable with olives, buffalo mozzarella and a dressing of olive oil and parsley. I made a half recipe with a fairly large bulb of fennel and 125g buffalo mozzarella cheese for 4 small plates. 
This was a great start to a summer meal....delicious and so easy to put together. The ingredients went together beautifully with the briny olives playing an important part in cutting the sweetness of the fennel and the creaminess of the buffalo mozzarella. The recipe can be found online here.

Visit here to see the other starters & nibbles IHCC members made this week.

7 comments:

  1. This is such a pretty grilled starter ... elegant in its simplicity! Great choice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks really good, Zosia! Grilling the fennel sounds really nice. This is the perfect starter dish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fennel is one of my fave veggies but never grilled it before - this looks so delicious

    ReplyDelete
  4. I adore fennel and grilling it is just perfect--especially serving it with that gorgeous mozzarella. Add some good bread and I would happily make this my dinner! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Deb. I could happily make a meal out of this dish:) I love the creaminess of fresh mozzarella. So many addictive flavors here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could eat this and think I had gone to heaven. I adore fennel, and strangely enough even though I have prepared it raw, roasted, and pan fried, I have never tried char-grilling it. With fennel being pretty plentiful here right now, I'm about to rectify that, as I know I would totally love this dish.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never used fennel. But if it's covered with cheese.....

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.