Sunday, June 1, 2014

Raspberry-White Chocolate and Chocolate-Caramel Scones - Avid Baker's Challenge

Not having had much exposure to scones, I have no idea what the ideal is. I've tried several recipes and am no closer to enlightenment since each one yielded such different results, running the gamut from very crisp, buttery and flakey to soft and cake-like, with a few that were like lead weights as well ;)! So if the experts at King Arthur Flour tell me that this starter recipe produces traditional scones, with their crisp exterior and moist, tender crumb, I'll gladly believe them because we loved them!
The basic recipe, which can be found here, just cries out for embellishment. In fact, KAF encourages this, providing suggestions for a variety of add-ins. I took this to heart. To half a batch of dough, I added 1/3 cup mini white chocolate chips and a heaping 1/2 cup raspberries, finishing the scones with a vanilla bean glaze to create Raspberry-White Chocolate Scones.
I experimented a little with the recipe for a second flavour, using half whole wheat pastry flour (by weight) and light brown sugar, adding in a 1/2 cup of mini caramel-filled milk chocolate cups. These were topped with turbinado sugar before baking for the Chocolate-Caramel Scones.
I stored them in the freezer overnight to bake and serve warm for dessert the next day but despite being frozen solid rather than just chilled, my baking time was only 17 minutes. They were as described: crisp and golden with a moist crumb. There was no perceptible difference in texture between the two flavours - a little hard to tell with all of my add-ins - but interestingly, the scones made with whole wheat flour didn't rise as high as the others but spread a little more. Perhaps I should have used all-purpose whole wheat flour with its higher gluten content for more structure. That experiment is for another day because these will definitely be made again.

The KAF recipe for scones is the Avid Baker's Challenge for June. Visit ABC to read what the other members had to say about them.

11 comments:

  1. You've been busy! I love your creativity. Both flavor profiles sound wonderful. I'd have a hard time choosing one. I too was going to use whole wheat pastry flour but after reading your post. I'll stick to KAF's white whole wheat flour (for part of the white flour).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hanaâ, I made them small so we could have one of each and not have to decide!

      Delete
  2. I'm partial to sweets so I'm in love with both of your options. I'm going to have to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Trisha, and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. yumm, have never tried making scones maybe should give it a try, although we dont get this king arthur's flour over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nammi, I don't use King Arthur flour for any of the baking I do from their site, just whatever brands/types that are available to me here (Canada) and everything seems to turn out well. I do hope you give them a try...they were very easy and very tasty!

      Delete
  4. Both versions looks delectable...would love to try these out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannie. They were very quick and easy to make.

      Delete
  5. How wonderfully creative! Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...all I can say is yummmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.