Monday, June 23, 2014

Lamb Chops with Oregano and Tzatziki - IHCC Mediterranean Magic

Nigel was in his garden one August surrounded by flourishing oregano plants when he was inspired to make Lamb Chops with Oregano and Tzatziki. Some beautiful weather, lamb chops in my freezer and this week's theme of Mediterranean Magic at I Heart Cooking Clubs were my inspiration to make this dish of grilled meat with a tangy yogurt-cucumber sauce from his book The Kitchen Diaries.
It's only June and I have no oregano in my garden so rather than creating a paste with the fresh herb and some olive oil and applying it to the chops just before grilling, I marinated the meat overnight with dried oregano, olive oil and a squeeze of lemon.
The tzatiki, made with thick (Greek) yogurt and grated cucumber, was a little different from some with its focus on mint but that herb is such a wonderful complement to lamb, I wasn't concerned that I would miss the dill that's in my usual recipe. I didn't; it was the perfect pairing for the lamb, but I did miss the garlic so would include a small clove next time. Grilled potatoes, eggplant and zucchini, and a Greek Salad from The Olive and The Caper by Susanna Hoffman rounded out the Greek-inspired meal.

What other Mediterranean Magic have IHCC members conjured up this week with featured chef Nigel Slater? Visit here to find out.

5 comments:

  1. Greek! I have to admit, I never went to Greece, your dish looks great. No oregano in your garden, bummer, mine is doing well this year

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Such a pretty meal as well as being fresh and full of healthy vegetables and herbs! This was a great addition to this week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zosia, your entire meal is fantastic! I have more oregano than I can handle and need ideas for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pics are making my mouth water. Your lamb chops look perfectly grilled and I would love to dip one into that tzatziki. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous Mediterranean meal--so fresh and perfect for summer. I am a big fan of all kinds of tzatiki, I love it on everything. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.