Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Greek Salad

Until I read Susanna Hoffman's book The Olive and The Caper, I didn't realize that the "Greek Salad" I'd eaten on numerous occasions wasn't authentic but a variation of Greek Village Salad. Apparently Greeks in North America adapted the recipe to suit the produce available in their new homeland, which during some seasons meant mediocre tomatoes, but almost always meant beautiful lettuces.
Cucumbers, tomatoes, green pepper, Kalamata olives, onions and feta cheese form the basis of the authentic salad. For the Greek-American Rendition I made, my lettuce of choice was romaine, and I omitted the onions since I'm not a fan of raw but included (optional) capers. 
veggies and cheese dressing added
Once the base ingredients are prepared, they're dressed with olive oil, red wine vinegar, a drop or two of honey and the all-important dried oregano. The washed and dried leaves of lettuce are torn and lightly tossed with the other ingredients.
 
Crisp and flavourful, the salad is very easy to put together and goes well with Greek-themed meals but really would be welcome at most meals. The recipe is available online here if you would like a little taste of Greece, or Greek-North America, on your menu.

I'm sharing this post with cook-your-books hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours. Visit here to see what everyone else has made this month.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    This is such a lovely and fresh looking salad. I like all the ingredients in it, and they make such a colourful and appetizing dish of salad, that makes me want to tuck right in! Thanks for sharing with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joyce. It's a very popular salad here with good reason.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.