Monday, May 5, 2014

Turkey Chilli - IHCC Weeknight Favourites!

Nigel Slater's recipe for Minced Turkey Chilli looked like a great way to bump up the flavour of lean and sometimes bland ground turkey and it met the criteria of being very quick-cooking, perfect for this week's theme of weeknight favourites (or soon to be favourites) at I Heart Cooking Clubs.
I followed some of Nigel's suggestions and added garlic and cumin to the mixture of onions, turkey and beans and used ancho and chipotle chili powders for some smoke and heat. The dish was done in 15 minutes, had great flavour and would have been delicious served as suggested in a tortilla but it wasn't quite what I was craving: a bowl of North American-style chili.
A can of plum tomatoes, some extra beans and spices, and an additional 15 minutes of simmering in an uncovered skillet gave me what I was looking for in a relatively short time.
I served it with roasted Corn Salad with Avocado (p207) from Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything and Cornbread from the King Arthur Flour website for a delicious weeknight meal, one that will definitely be repeated.

See what everyone else made on a busy night over at IHCC as members continue to cook with featured cook and food writer Nigel Slater.

9 comments:

  1. I would love this for lunch today. Nice choice of recipes! I haven't had chili in a while and this is making me hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zosia, your bowl of turkey chilli looks superbly good especially for a cold night where you just need a bowl of hot food by your side to warm your tummy :) This is definitely another awesome one-meal dish for the weekday night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one perfect looking meal! I have not eaten chilli in ages! And cornbread is one of my favourite, so I would be all smiles at your dining table!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you were able to modify this dish to get what you were craving. I like your use of chipotle and ancho chile powder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a wonderful, flavorful dinner. I like how you made it into the chili you were looking for. You have me craving chili now. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful plate of food! Good work making it your own take on Nigel!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I wish I could have this for lunch now! It's a great dish for a cloudy and cool spring day here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks fabulous for a quick and simple mid-week dinner, if only ground turkey was readily available here. Love that you upped the ante with some flavourings of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My family is partial to turkey chili rather than the traditional beef chili. This looks really delicious with all the toppings/garnishes. I love the idea of serving it in a tortilla, as you mentioned, but a nice bowl of hot chili is much more comforting!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.