Monday, May 19, 2014

Lemon-Scented Pull-Apart Coffee Cake - Bake Along #61

Joyce, Lena and Zoe have been baking together for 3 years in a bi-weekly bake along. I've been tempted to join in in the past but decided to finally take the plunge when I saw that the next selected recipe was Flo Braker's Lemon-Scented Pull-Apart Coffee Cake from her book Baking for All Occasions, a recipe I tagged when I first bought the book but had yet to make!
A yeast-raised cake rich in butter, sugar and eggs, it required very little effort to make, mixing only with the paddle attachment of a stand mixer, and resembled a thick cake batter more than it did a bread dough. The dough remained extremely soft but was manageable after it fermented.
The shaping of the loaf started very much as you would do to make cinnamon buns with the dough rolled out into a large rectangle spread with melted butter (I used only half). Instead of rolling it up jelly-roll style into a cylinder and slicing, the dough was cut into strips, spread with a sugar-lemon and orange zest paste (I used half the sugar), stacked and sliced again. The stacks were then arranged in a loaf pan and left to rise. 
After baking, the warm loaf was glazed with a tangy cream cheese glaze (I used only half).
The finished loaf was soft and tender, infused with sweet lemon flavour and finished with a lemon tang. Delicious! I put off baking this lovely cake for quite a while but I definitely won't let much time pass before I make it again. If you would like to make this yourself, the recipe can be found here.
Be sure to visit our hosts Joyce of Kitchen Flavours, Lena of Frozen Wings and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids to see their beautiful cakes.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    I'm so glad that you have join us in baking this delicious bread! Yes, like you, I have bookmarked this recipe ever since I got the book more than a year ago! Finally made it, and could have pinch myself for not making it earlier! It is darn good! Thanks for baking along with us, do join us anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors are so rich and wonderful. I like the yellow from the lemon cake with the rich raspberries.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Zosia,

    Happy to have you baking along with us. Your lemon pulled apart cake looks so cheerful, summery and bright! Nice!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi zosia, thx for your comment on my blog and happy to see you joining us for this pull apart coffee cake. the full recipe of the icing was actually quite a lot, i didnt use them all, the next time i make this i shall reduce it by half too. Glad to know that you made it and loved it. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zosia, This is my first time here. I love the raspberries with the bread. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.