Thursday, May 1, 2014

King Arthur's English Digestive Biscuits - Avid Baker's Challenge


The Avid Bakers are still baking from the King Arthur Flour website and this month's challenge is digestive cookies, something I've never made before and haven't had in years so I was really looking forward to it. Made with part whole wheat flour, these cookies were at one time believed to have helped with the digestive process. I just remember them as being a not-too-sweet treat to enjoy with a cup of tea.
digestive cutouts baked digestivese
They were very quick to make since the dough came together in just seconds in a food processor and there was no resting time required before it could be rolled, cut and baked. Very nice to work with, the dough was easy to roll out thinly and the cookies baked up beautifully in the allotted time. My yield was 45 (15 from re-rolled dough) using a 6.3cm/2 1/2" cookie cutter.
They were crisp and buttery with a nutty flavour and a little chew from the whole wheat flour, not quite as tender and crumbly as store-bought but delicious nevertheless. Dipped in melted bittersweet chocolate they made for an extra indulgent treat. If you would like to make these English Digestive Biscuits, the recipe is here.
Visit here to see the other ABC bakers' cookies.

12 comments:

  1. Love the look of the cookies especially the ones dipped in chocolate. They were really easy to put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sunita. I loved that the dough was such a breeze to work with.

      Delete
  2. Love the shape of those cookies! Dipping is chocolate was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The chocolate dipped cookies were a big hit.

      Delete
  3. I loved the shape too! I don't have a food processor so I'm thinking that may be next on my list. Your dough looked much smoother then my hand mixed one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The food processor definitely makes this cookie - and many other doughs - much easier to make. Thank you for stopping by, Annette.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful biscuits - and even nicer with the chocolate! The food processor makes it really so easy to mix the dough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karin. Chocolate-dipped digestives were always a special treat growing up so I couldn't resist making a few!

      Delete
  5. Very pretty! Great dipping job, how did you do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judy. The design was quite by accident: my kitchen was (and still is!) cold and the chocolate solidified quickly so the pattern the chocolate made when I shook the excess off of each cookie stayed in place.

      Delete
  6. Everything is better with chocolate! So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Especially the chocolate dipped ones. I made these again this past weekend (100% whole wheat flour). There's no excuse not to make them if you have a food processor (the first two times I made them completely by hand and that wasn't too terrible either).

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.