Saturday, April 12, 2014

Oven-Baked Potato and Red Pepper Tortilla



This take on a traditional Spanish tortilla was a recent life-saver for me when I was faced with some leftover potatoes, eggs and not much else in the fridge. It had the added advantage that it could be cooked in advance and eaten rewarmed or at room temperature - perfect for a day when family was scattered and eating at different times. Better still, it contained ingredients that everyone in the family likes - a rare occurrence in my home.
The recipe called for cooking some Yukon gold potatoes, but my leftover boiled russets worked just fine. They were fried until golden on both sides and sprinkled with smoked paprika - it added such a special flavour - then topped with sautéed onions, garlic and sweet red peppers and a mixture of eggs, milk, Parmesan cheese and herbs and baked in the oven.
I discovered that there was even more to like about this recipe: it was made in 1 pan, the baking instructions worked perfectly and it was a hit with family. They loved the yummy distinct layers of fried potato, sautéed vegetables and cheesy eggs. I thought the ratio of eggs to potatoes and vegetables worked well and the recipe can easily be adapted to use whatever is at hand so I will definitely be making this again.

If you would like to try this recipe for Christopher's Oven-Baked Potato and Red Pepper Tortilla, it's from Joanne Chang's book Flour, Too: Indispensable Recipes For The Cafés Most Loved Sweets and Savories, but it can also be found here.

I'm sharing this post with cook-your books, hosted by Joyce at Kitchen Flavours. Check out what everyone else made this month from their cookbooks.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Zosia,
    Wow, these look and sounds delicious! We love potatoes and eggs, and I can see this being a winner in my house too. I have Joanne Chang's first Flour book, but not the second one, perhaps it's time I take a second look!
    Thanks for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Joyce. Joanne Chang's second book has a lot of great recipes like this one in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could definitely eat that for lunch every day!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.