Monday, April 21, 2014

Black Rice Salad with Mint and Mango - IHCC What's in Your Picnic Basket?

This week at I Heart Cooking Clubs we're having a virtual picnic using recipes from Nigel Slater, our current featured chef. In choosing a dish to bring, portability is always something to consider, but most important of all, is flavour. I like to include a vibrant salad in a picnic meal, especially one that contains more than one food group - it cuts down on the number of dishes to make and transport.
Nigel's Wheat with Mint and Alphonso Mango, from his book Kitchen Diaries 2: a Year of Simple Suppers fit the bill. You can't go wrong with grains dressed with a citrus-y vinaigrette - a non-dairy dressing is a good choice for food safety reasons - and tossed with parsley which replaces much less hardy salad greens. I used black rice in place of the wheat, and limes instead of lemons.
This salad was a hit! Bright, refreshing, colourful and somewhat tropical in flavour with the lime dressing and sweet, juicy mango. We enjoyed the nutty flavour and chewy texture of the rice but it would be delicious with just about any grain, including the original cracked wheat/bulgur.
A variation of the recipe can be found here if you would like to try it.

Visit IHCC to see what others brought to the picnic.

7 comments:

  1. Zosia, what a refreshing salad!! I would love to have and taste the fresh burst of the mint and sweetness of the mango in my mouth :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his Kitchen Diaries book. This is a beautifully crafted dish, very colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful and vibrant looking salad. Looks really delicious too, Oh my, this would be perfect next to my chicken wings! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This salad ticks all the boxes as far as I'm concerned for picnic food - bright, flavourful, transportable and non-perishable. I'm drooling thinking about that lovely chewy black rice and cool luscious mango.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a gorgeous salad--I love the ingredients and the flavors. So perfect for porting about. I love the black rice--I bet its texture is great with the mango. I could happily make a meal out of this one. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you used black rice in this dish. I bought some black rice awhile ago and have yet to use it in a dish. This definitely inspires me! This is a beauty :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful salad. Would definitely fit the bill for our picnic!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.