Tuesday, April 1, 2014

100% Whole Wheat Cinnamon Swirl Bread - Avid Baker's Challenge

During these past several months baking from the King Arthur Flour website along with the other ABC bakers, I've not been using King Arthur Flour (nor any of their other products), relying instead on flour produced here. Like King Arthur Flour, Canadian flour is high in protein and up until now, always weighing the ingredients, my substitutions have worked well with the end product seeming to have the correct appearance, crumb and texture. This recipe recommended using white whole wheat flour and there's no equivalent for that here. But I did have a few whole wheat flours from which to choose; I went with the higher gluten whole wheat bread flour I usually use in yeast-raised breads.
A 2-day bread, this enriched dough started with a simple sponge that rested overnight. It was then added to the remaining ingredients and kneaded. I'm glad I used a stand mixer since the dough was very sticky and had I been kneading by hand, would certainly have given in to the temptation to add more flour. The dough required over 90 minutes each time for fermentation and proofing before being popped into the oven to bake.
I didn't get the dramatic oven spring I expected based on this blog post, but the loaf had a soft, fluffy crumb and the orange juice in the recipe, intended to eliminate the bitterness of the whole wheat flour, did its job. The bread had a pleasant nutty flavour and with its sweet cinnamon swirl was delicious.
Though it may not look anything like the KAF loaf, it was still a big hit here - very good eaten freshly baked and fabulous toasted the next day.

The recipe for 100% Whole Wheat Cinnamon Swirl Bread can be found on the King Arthur Flour website. If you'd like to see the other bakers' results, visit ABC.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful! Very light and fluffy indeed. Lovely swirl too. I'm glad you made the recipe work for you and the flour available to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got a LOT of rise! Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty. I also thought it made excellent toast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The crumb and texture is great! Nice swirl too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great swirl, it looks light and airy even if it is whole wheat, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks beautiful! That proves it: not all WW flours are created equal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your bread looks wonderful. Great texture. We do not get different whole wheat flour here so I used my regular one with which I make chapattis. Maybe will add gluten the next time. I agree the oven spring was not as expected.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.