Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Tabouli - IHCC Eating of the Green!

I recall a time when every restaurant dish served was garnished with an obligatory sprig of parsley, usually of the curly variety. I discovered later that this much maligned and abused herb was actually an ingredient that had flavour and was worthy of attention. What better way to appreciate it than to make it a focal point of a dish. Tabouli, a middle eastern salad does just that.
Donna Hay, our featured chef at I Heart Cooking Clubs, offers a simplified version, Couscous Tabouli, in her book Seasons. As you can tell by the recipe name, this was supposed to be made with couscous. I used medium bulgur instead which didn't involve any more active time than the couscous, but did take longer to soften (~20 minutes). I also substituted less peppery arugula for the watercress.
Lacking the traditional tomatoes and cucumbers but not flavour, this dish of steamed bulgur, garlicky lemon-olive oil dressing and Italian flat-leaf parsley tossed with some arugula made a gloriously green dish, in keeping with this week's theme "Eating of the Green".

Fabulous and refreshing!

Visit IHCC to see what green the other members are cooking up.

6 comments:

  1. I have this one tagged to make in Seasons. Love the idea of the couscous--but it looks equally as good with the bulgur and you have now put it in my mind to make it and use up more of my big bag of bulgur-like freekeh in it, ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabouli is something I haven't had much luck with. I've made it a few times and it always seemed to be missing something. I'll have to try this and may even try it with couscous...which we love.

    I agree with you about parsley. For the longest time I paid no attention because I thought of it as just something to decorate the plate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks wonderful! I love the fresh green flavor that parsley brings to the table.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Over the years I've discovered that I like the flavor of curly parsley much better than the flat leaf parsley. I think this looks like a wonderful meal. Love that you used arugula in place of watercress. I can never seem to find watercress in the shops.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zosia,
    I have not tried making or eating tabouli before, but have seen various recipes for it. Your version with bulgur sounds good. A healthy and refreshing dish indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Deb, I've had this one bookmarked for ages, but you've just inspired me to move it up the list. Love the changes you made.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting. I'd love to hear from you.